Previously, I have explained how to gather crafting materials. Now, I will explain where to find the crafting materials needed for each tier.
Generally speaking, all of the materials needed for a particular crafting tier will be found in the same area. Rowan wood will be found alongside copper or tin ore, and the creatures in that area will supply light hides. This holds true pretty much all the way through the game, although the Supreme tier is a little tricky in that it is essentially two tiers in one, as far as gathering materials goes.
The following list indicates the general locations where these materials can be found. Some of these locations are a little vague because of the fact that a zone contains more than one tier of resources. Each zone name is linked to a map of the region so you can get a better idea of the areas described.
Apprentice: Copper and Tin ore, Rowan wood, Light hides (approximate level range: 5-15)
- Bree-land: The area surrounding Combe and Chetwood and east from those locations to the Lone Lands.
- Ered Luin: All areas except Rath Teraig and Haudh Lin
- The Shire: Most of the zone, especially in the southern and western portions.
Journeyman: Barrow-iron and Silver ore, Ash wood, Medium hides (approximate level range: 16-24)
- Bree-land: Areas to the west of Combe and Chetwood, as well as all areas north of Archet.
- Eren Luin: The Rath Teraig and Haudh Lin areas
- The Shire: Areas to the east of Brockenborings and Budgeford
- Lone-lands: All areas to the west of Nain Enidh
- North Downs: The Greenway, Annundir and the eastern half of Fields of Fornost
Expert: Rich Iron and Gold ore, Yew wood, Sturdy hides (approximate level range: 25-34)
- Lone-Lands: Nain Enidh and eastward except for the Harloeg swamp.
- North Downs: Nan Wathren and eastward, also the western half of Fields of Fornost.
- Evendim: All areas to the east of Lake Evendim
Artisan: Dwarf-iron and Platinum ore, Lebethron* wood, Pristine hides (approximate level range: 35-45)
- Lone-Lands: Harloeg swamp
- Evendim: Areas west of Lake Evendim, including the island of Tyl Ruinen
- Trollshaws: Entire area (no resources in Rivendell, though)
- Misty Mountains: All areas except North and South High Pass *(All the wood in this zone is Black Ash)
- Angmar: Western half of the map and the Malenhad swamp
Master: Ancient Iron and Ancient Silver ore, Black Ash wood, Exceptional hides (approximate level range: 45-51)
- Forochel: Entire zone. Note, no wood at all for foresters to gather.
- Ettenmoors: Note, not recommended for resource farming…
- Misty Mountains: North and South High Pass
- Eregion: Areas north of Mirobel and Echad Dunnan
- Angmar: Imlad Balchorth and eastward
Supreme: Khazad-copper and Khazad-tin ore, Ilex wood, Magnificent hides (approximate level range: 52-56)
- Eregion: Areas south of Mirobel and Echad Dunnan
- Moria: Great Delving, Silvertine Lodes, Durin’s Way, Waterworks, Zelem-Melek, and Nud-Melek
Khazand-iron and Khazad-gold ore, Mallorn wood, Extraordinary hides (approximate level range: 57-65)
I will admit that I’m a little unsure of the ore locations in Moria. Some zones have a mix of Copper/tin and Iron/gold, so that confuses the issue even more. If you see an area where I’m totally off base on these, please leave a comment to correct me!
Scholar materials can also be found in these areas, generally in ruins and as random drops from certain mob types. However, searching for scholar materials is such a time consuming endeavor, I feel it is worthy of its own post, hopefully in the near future.
Edit: Added a very rough approximation of the level ranges where one can find these resources. You may find that you can find these materials in lower or higher level zones, however. With careful navigation, you could gather in an area much higher than you, but be aware, if you die in an area significantly higher than your level, you may be sent back to your map home location rather than the nearest rez circle if you die.