Yesterday, Ten Ton Hammer’s Live podcast released Episode 30, where they interviewed Kate Paiz and Adam Mersky of Turbine. They discussed many aspects of the game from the change from subscription only to Free-to-Play to Isengard and beyond. Some of the highlights include:
- LOTRO has actually tripled its revenue since going Free-to-Play.
- They have seen a “massive” influx of new players since the launch.
- They want to have the Isengard expansion prove their dedication to improving the game.
- Isengard will include the Tower of Orthanc as well as the surrounding veil.
- Dunland is located South of Enedwaith.
- The Gap of Rohan will be South of Dunland.
- Story-wise the tension will be increasing as Saurman’s army increases and the Rangers come closer to reaching Aragorn.
- Rohan is planned for a later expansion/zone (it was somewhat unclear).
- It will be a paid expansion.
- More of the Epic Storyline will be released in Q1.
- They will be releasing an instance cluster with a new raid before Isengard’s release.
- First Age Legendary Items will be included in the raid cluster.
- A “revitalized” cosmetic system will be released this year.
- They’re still testing cosmetic pets for all players.
- Cosmetic Weapons is something they are looking into.
However, my favorite quote was by Kate:
We’re having conversations about how are we going to make the Helm’s Deep Battle’ and how is that going to work coming in the year after Isengard?
Does this mean that we will be eventually playing a part in Helm’s Deep? If so, let me just say “Yippee!”