Update: This is an April Fools joke. The new skirmishes have not been announced!
The next content update, scheduled for release in late May, will include two new skirmishes. CSTM has learned that one of these two new skirmishes is to be set in the Shire and is to be called Survival: Hobbiton.
This skirmish is set during the dark days of the Shire just before the brigands destroy the Hobbiton Grange. During this skirmish, you must face periodic intrusions from various thugs who seek to remove troublemakers (such as you) and gather the harvest for themselves.
This skirmish includes four control points: Central Hobbiton, Bag End, The Grange, and Bywater. Brigands will periodically attack these locations to capture them.
Why do you care about the checkpoints? You gain skirmish marks in this skirmish by completing tasks and each task is impossible to complete if the target control point is currently under the control of the brigands. There are four tasks in all:
1. Deliver a pie from Holly Hornblower (Central Hobbiton) to Bag End for the Chief. You need to avoid Hungry Hobbits during this delivery.
2. Deliver a letter from Bag End to the Bywater Postmaster (Bywater). You need to avoid Nosey Hobbits while you are doing this.
3. Deliver a letter from the postmaster (Bywater) to The Grange. Once again you need to avoid Nosey hobbits but you also need to avoid Surly Sheriffs.
4. Deliver a sack of oats from The Grange to the stable master (Central Hobbiton). This time you must avoid Surly Sheriffs and Hungry Hobbits.
Once you complete all four tasks, you earn skirmish marks and reset all four tasks. On top of this, an additional hazard spawns to make the next circuit more challenging. Completing a circuit also triggers an attack on one of the four control points by the brigands. The opponents are more powerful after each circuit.
Another reason to take back control point quickly is that if the bandits control any point for more than two minutes, they grab a rebellious hobbit and take them to the lockholes.
The skirmish continues until one of the four conditions are met:
1. You complete ten circuits (success).
2. Five minutes have passed since the last circuit was completed (failure).
3. Three rebellious hobbits are taken to the lockholes (failure).
4. All players have been defeated (once a player is defeated, they are out of the skirmish).
When you are playing in a fellowship, the intrusions of the brigands are more frequent. There are also additional hungry hobbits and nosey hobbits about. To get around this, some members of the group need to distract the hobbits by luring them from the task runners route (for example, savory mushrooms will distract hungry hobbits).
As my main is a hobbit, I am really excited about this new skirmish. I will provide a more detailed report when it reaches the test server.