Today Turbine has announced that it will expand its global operations and assume full control of The Lord of the Rings Online in Europe beginning June 1st, 2011.
The press release posted today states that Codemasters will continue to operate LOTRO until June 1st when European players will begin to migrate.
Included in this announcement was some FAQs for EU players wondering what will take place. I thought it may be helpful to highlight some of these FAQs in a quick list.
- Do not make a Turbine account now. Wait for migration instructions as accounts cannot be merged. If you currently have both a Turbine and Codemasters account, they will remain separate.
- All your characters and items will migrate with you. This includes your Turbine Points balance. It is suggested to not be posting items to the Auction House before migration as there is no guarantee you’ll be able to collect your money/items after migration.
- All existing lifetime accounts will remain lifetime accounts on the new Turbine Global Service.
- Existing VIP accounts will be honored until the subscription period ends, at that time they will need to update your billing information with Turbine. Good news is you’ll have the option to pay multi-month again!
- Additional servers with the same names and language designations as currently on the Codemasters service are being added to the Turbine Global Service. You are not being merged onto existing North American servers.
- Game Time Cards by Codemasters will not work after migration. Be sure to apply all your codes before migration!
- EU players will have access to my.lotro and all the goodies it brings including the blogs, character panels and lotteries!
- No posts from the Codemasters forums will be migrated. You may want to take some time to gather up important stickies. Turbine suggests adding useful and important guides/information to the Lore-book once you are migrated to the Turbine service.
These changes are only affecting the EU (Codemasters) players. Existing players on the current North American Turbine servers will continue to operate as normal.
More information will come as we get closer to migration time. I would also like to take a moment to welcome our European friends to the Turbine community! We are excited to have you join our forums, my.lotro blogs and more!