Rise of Isengard Launching September 27

June 7, 2011

LOTRO News

LOTRO-LOGO-ENAnnounced today is the official launch date for the Rise of Isengard expansion, details of the expansion, and a pre-order offer! The Lord of the Rings Online™: Rise of Isengard™ will launch on September 27, 2011Players across North America and Europe can pre-purchase Rise of Isengard to receive special benefits starting today at http://www.lotro.com/isengard.

LOTRO Rise of Isengard Key Art

“Our journey through Middle-earth is now taking us to one of its most iconic locations,” said Aaron Campbell, Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online, Turbine.  “The new regions are going to be truly epic in scale, story, and challenge. In addition to the wealth of features and content coming in September, players who pre-purchase the expansion will be able to use their bonus items immediately as they prepare for the launch of Rise of Isengard.”

UK-version, French-version, and German-versions of the trailer

Explore Three New Regions! — The time has come for you to turn eastward, toward the vale of Isengard.  Where ancient forests once flourished, a corrupted waste of metal and wheels suffers under the thrall of the traitorous wizard Saruman.  Here, in the shadows of the tower of Orthanc, gathers an army of Orcs and Uruk-hai, toiling to make ready for war. Forge ahead into these devastated lands and uncover new quests, skills, and traits as you strive to thwart Saruman’s ambition.

• Dunland – Adventure amidst the bright forests in the foothills of the southern Misty Mountains. Beware the Dunland Clans, rugged warriors tempted by the dark promise of power.
  • Gap of Rohan – Battle over the legendary pass between Eriador and the plane of Rohan. This key strategic point must be defended against the ambitions of Sauron.
  • Isengard – Explore Orthanc, one of the iconic Two Towers as it rises over the once beautiful Isengard valley. The once beautiful vale now desecrated beyond imagination by the Wizard Saruman the betrayer.

Advance to Level 75!
Face new challenges and continue to forge your own legend in Middle-earth with all-new epic quests, skills, and deeds as you fight new enemies on your journey to level 75!

Master the Legendary New 24-Player Raid!
Face the ancient evil of Draigoch, one of the most powerful creatures in Middle-earth! Prepare for the ultimate challenge where nothing less than the strength of an entire force of 24 heroes stands the chance of victory.

isengard_promo_06

Pre-order Offer

Starting today, players can take can take advantage of three special pre-purchase offers to celebrate the release of the third major expansion to LOTRO:

Rise of Isengard Base Edition $29.99

Includes the full Rise of Isengard expansion plus:

• Steed of the Gap, a new in-game mount with matching red cosmetic cloak for every character on your account
  • In-game title – Guard of the Isen
  • 25% XP boost for all characters on an account up to level 65

Rise of Isengard Heroic Edition $39.99

Includes the full Rise of Isengard expansion plus:

• 1,000 Turbine Points for use in the LOTRO Store
  • Steed of the Gap, a new in-game mount with choice of matching cosmetic cloak and armor in your choice of red, white or green for every character on your account
  • In-game title – Guard of the Isen
  • 25% XP boost for all characters on an account up to level 65

Rise of Isengard Legendary Edition $49.99

Includes the full Rise of Isengard expansion plus:

• 1,000 Turbine Points for use in the LOTRO Store
  • All three Steeds of the Gap, new in-game mounts with matching cosmetic cloak and armor in all three colors for every character on your account
  • In-game title – Guard of the Isen
  • 25% XP boost for all characters on an account up to level 65
  • Access to the Path of the Fellowship Quest Packs including Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria, Lothlorien and Mirkwood

lotro_isgd_group_night

Players will have access to all of the bonus items including the new mount, cosmetic cloak and armor, in-game title and XP boost immediately after purchase. The Rise of Isengard expansion itself will be available to play on September 27, 2011. These special offers will only be available for a limited time.

Screenshots released with Isengard are available to view on http://isengard.lotro.com/ or the CSTM flickr account!

, , ,

105 Responses to “Rise of Isengard Launching September 27”

1. Steffen Says:

Inever know: does Mexico count as North America? I would like to pre purchase it, but oh well, if no at least I hope it will be in the store on the launch day…

2. Patrick Says:

Is there a rebate for lifer? Because i want the Legendary edition but i don’t care about the fellowship quest pack as i already have them.

3. Brainslug Says:

So we really are takeing the hobbits to Isengard :=)

Each of these deals sounds pretty sweet I must say.

4. LD Says:

No preorder for Turbine Points? I can understand the reasoning behind it, but damn that’s disappointing.

• Yajard Says:

Well, at least the pre-order lasts until launch, so I can think about this. I’ve been stockpiling TP for the sole purpose of buying this expansion. The pre-order perks only appear to be for money purchases though. If we actually knew how much the expansion would cost in-game, or an estimate, then I’d figure out which route to go: Pre-order before launch with the base bundle, perhaps one above it OR buy RoI from the LOTRO Store and not receive any perks.

5. Buckyball Says:

Is there any benefit to the Legendary Edition quest packs for VIP members? It seems like the only bonus for VIPs is having all three mounts/cosmetics.

Either way I’m getting the Legendary edition.
    Account wide bonuses make me very happy. :)

6. HeadBurro Antfarm Says:

Hi – would you know if it is possible to pre-order this in the LOTRO store with TPs?

7. Osiran Says:

I said the same thing, Buckyball. I’m not so big on cosmetics though. Oh well.

8. Joshua Says:

Ooh, shiny. Hopefully, I’ll have $50 to spare between now and whenever the preorder offer ends. I already have Eregion and Moria, but getting Trollshaws, Lothlorien, and Mirkwood at a go (plus the other perks) would be nifty.

9. Falraniel Says:

So as a lifer myself $30 gets me a single horse or $50 gets me three horses and two months worth of TP?
    I guess I’ll be waiting then.

10. Hobbitmeister Says:

Player’s cost analysis:
    I value the 1000TP at a $10 value as compared to the regular priced 5000 Point bundle(3100+1900)@$50

Legendary Edition ($50) actual:$40 ($10 offset from the bonus TP).
    3 mounts with matching cosmetic armours/cloaks + new Title.
    For any VIPs that have been here a while, the questpacks are a wash.

Heroic Edition ($40) actual:$30 ($10 offset from the bonus TP).
    1 mount (color choice) with matching cosmetic armour/cloak + new Title.

Base Edition $30 (no offset)
    1 mount (Red blanket) with matching cosmetic armour/cloak + new Title.

All 3 Editions: +25% XP gain, I guess this will be useful for leveling alts but I can also already see all the forum posts “I’m leveling too fast, I’m leveling too fast!” LOL! :p

It’s obvious Legendary Edition is the better deal of the 3 from a purely mounts/cosmetics perspective. That’s probably the one I will get. Since Heroic and Basic Editions are basically the same price due to the Bonus TP offset, I don’t actually see why anyone would want to buy the Basic Edition.

Pricewise I think it’s a little on the high side for a Digi-download only product. It would be nice if they would provide some .iso images to download as well so we can burn an up-to-date client to disc. All it would take is a couple of computer’s set up with an official torrent running in the office.

September release date was kind of surprising. Wasn’t expecting it that soon. I sure hope the bugs get worked out in time.

• robamb2002 Says:

pretty much, my thoughts exactly… except I’m not a huge fan of cosmetics/mount-skins so I went with the heroic pack…. my one question would be as follows:

will the +25% XP bounus continue past launch day for toons under lvl 65 or will that deal end on launch?

• Krenn Says:

One minor error in your list – the Base edition doesn’t include the cosmetic armor; just the cloak & horse.

11. AsFarAsLarry Says:

Anyone having any issues actually getting the pre-order to submit after filling out all the information? Their cute little dojo, jquery whatever thing (while snappy and sexy and all that goodness) gives absolutely no feedback as to whether it’s even doing anything useful as you sit there and wait.

Chrome user.

-1 Weinertubes for making you use your PayPal ‘login’ email as the email on the order. I’d rather use one of my ‘PleaseDirectAllAttacksHere###@gmail.com’ addresses, thank you very much :)

• Mithralmistress Says:

I got it to work in chrome. You have to highlight the white area to actually see the activation code, though.

• AsFarAsLarry Says:

I don’t get an activation code. I’m on the screen where it asks you to fill out everything about yourself, your neighbor, your city, et al and you click ‘continue’ at the bottom and it just sits there. No validation error, no nothing.

Goldenstar Says:

I had to switch to a different browser. Same thing was happening to me in Chrome. Switching to IE the process continued.

• HeadBurro Antfarm Says:

Yup, had that too so switched from Chrome to IE (crosses self three times and spits in a cat’s ear). The problem I had turned out to be my lack of understanding and their confusing text.

1) Bought pre-order with PayPal.
            2) Copied code and clicked on link to my Turbine account site.
            3) Entered code & logged in.
            4) My Turbine Account site then started asking me which subscription I wanted to apply this code too – I clicked the existing one.
            5) I was then asked about my payment method and given options of monthly, annual, etc. – *this* is where I kept stopping because it looked as though they were going to charge me again for VIP.
            6) After much re-trying I eventually followed it through reasoning that turbine would repay if they charged me for a second VIP sub and it worked just fine.

Now I don’t *think* I’ve been charged twice (I’ll be carefully checking my card statements though) but this last screen is, to me at least, very poorly designed and damn confuserating.

12. Mithralmistress Says:

For VIPs who bought the Mirkwood and Moria expansions, the only extras you would be getting in the Legendary vs the Heroic are the Eregion and Trollshaws quest packs. Plus two extra horses/mounts/cloaks. They need to select something better than Trollshaws.

• Mithralmistress Says:

make that *armour*/mounts/cloaks

Goldenstar Says:

VIPs get Eregion and Trollshaws included so if you purchased both expansions the only bonus is the horses and cosmetics for a longer time VIP like Merric and myself but I will probably do it because I like the idea of all my characters getting an array of ponies and pretty outfits.

• Mithralmistress Says:

I sort of left out the “if you quit paying the subscription” part of my post. So a non-lifetimer isn’t getting much if they’ve bought all the expansions but then stop subscribing. Nice ponies though.

13. Gerwig Says:

2 horseys + 2 outfits and a jealous kinnie :)

14. Halibrand Says:

I’ll be going for the Base Edition. While I love getting new mounts, this one will quite obviously be as common as dirt. Even in white and green. I highly doubt I’ll replace my current mount on each of my characters with this bonus one, especially when my current mounts all took quite a lot of work to get. Still, I get the red one, and it looks lovely.

As a VIP I tend to never need the Turbine Points, and usually just blow them on fun-but-silly things when they pile up ridiculously high.

I’m assuming I can dye the cloak and armour to whatever colour I want.

Plus I have to be careful how I spend my pennies. I’m one of those Lasik-Horror-Story people, and it makes finding work rather difficult.

15. Mike of Arkenstone Says:

I just ordered the heroic edition. It makes sense as I’m a VIP and not a big horse collector.

Two things. I ordered white armor but I’m definitely wearing the green suit, green horse, and green cloak. I’ve submitted a bug about that.

The 25% xp bonus comes as a pocket item. So if you have a good pocket item you will have to choose.

I’m happy that I level my alts at 25% so it seems a good deal for me.

Goldenstar Says:

Yes I did see a bug about this mentioned in twitter about the white/green suit. They are looking into it was what they said.

• Mike of Arkenstone Says:

Just to update you.

I received my correct armor set when I logged in tonight.

And so far they let me keep my green set of Armor, horse, and cloak.

Turbine responded to my ticket within an hour and sent me an update during the day and now they have fixed the problem. All in all a very good experience.

16. Thomas the Captain Says:

Well looks like its time to pre-order soon, but not today, I would guess the LOTRO site is swamped right now.

17. Crell Says:

I’d encourage people who want to see an additional purchase-level to put their 2 cents in at the forum.

Personally. I’d like one without the 1000 TP and pre RoI areas/content. but that has all the cosmetic/fluff stuff! :)

• Lilly Says:

Pretty sure the QPs were placed as a free bonus (at least that’s how it’s worded at the site), for getting the top tier pre-order.

Of course a free bonus doesn’t feel free when you’re paying.

18. Plinius Says:

does anyone know if i can pay with an austrian prepaid (master card) credit card?
    and can i pay in USD or just in EUR? because the price difference is quite big

• Gerwig Says:

I bought it for +/-35€ with paypal, their conversion from dollars to euros seemed nice enough :)

• Eva Says:

German here, paid by credit card (not prepaid though), and in USD. No problems except quite a long wait for the confirmation email (I closed the confirmation window before learning about the invisible text).

19. Tomeoric Says:

Being that our kinship is The Westfold Marshals and on the Riddermark server – I have to give a special thanks to Turbine for giving our kin team uniforms! I’m not one to get overly excited over cosmetics, but I’ve already re-outfitted most of my characters and dang – they sure do look sweet. Having the kin name match the outfit and horse is just icing on the cake…

20. Harlod Says:

Is the 25% xp bonus to quests and kills, or just one or the other? It seems alot of the xp bonus available are only on kills.

21. Malhirviel Says:

Looking at the Legendary version through an F2P’s eyes -

Okay so you get: Trollshaws, Eregion, Lothlórien and Moria and the Mirkwood Quest Pack. Without any sales:

Trollshaws costs 595 Turbine Points
    Eregion costs 695 Turbine Points
    Lothlorien costs 695 Turbine Points
    Moria quest pack costs 1495 Turbine Points [ I assume they mean the quest pack, not the expansion, although it's not clear ]
    Mirkwood quest pack costs 995 Turbine Points

That’s a total of 4475 Turbine Points. When Path of the Fellowship was available, it cost 2950 Turbine Points, although it didn’t include Mirkwood, which would bring the total cost to 3945, if you did the bundle plus the Mirkwood quest pack.

Also, you get 1000 Turbine Points “free” with the purchase of the Legendary pack. So that’s a total of 5475/4945 Turbine Points worth of value from the purchase.

As Hobbitmeister noted above, TP are approximately equivalent to $10 per 1000, so if you haven’t purchased any of the zones previously, you’re already ahead of the game if you spend $49.99 to get $49.45 – $54.75 worth of value in quest packs, since you also get the XP bonus, which is quite significant (though I wish it were a buff and not a pocket item), plus the whole expansion itself. It’s hard to put a value on the mounts and cosmetics, but I’m sure they would/will sell in the Turbine store for additional TP, if you don’t pre-order.

Unfortunately, if you’ve already bought a lot of the quest packs above (or are currently VIP) the value of the Legendary version begins to ebb away. Without knowing how much TP the expansion will cost, though, it’s difficult to know where the point of diminishing returns is. 3495 isn’t a bad guess, but it could easily be more or less, and will probably be subject to sales (maybe around Christmas / Winter Festival …?) once it’s not new and shiny anymore.

That XP buff is pretty tempting, though. I wonder how much money Turbine would make if they just sold THAT in the store…

22. shipwreck (aka shipprekk) Says:

Hooray! This is exciting news. I don’t like that they drew up a chesty elf-mage for the cover art but beggars can’t be choosers.

• shipwreck (aka shipprekk) Says:

Oh, and I’m also _very_ glad they made Saruman of Many Colors! Nice and subtle as well.

• Joshua Says:

I didn’t even notice that at first, but now that you pointed it out I’m slightly disappointed in Turbine’s marketing folks. For the most part, they’ve avoided that sort of cheesy exploitation.

Meh.

23. Berkin Says:

Is Moria/Mirkwood required to get to level 65? (Sorry if this was already answered.)

Goldenstar Says:

Moria is pretty much required as there are no other good 50+ zones that I can think of. You may be able to get several levels into 50 but you’re probably not going to make it to 60 without Moria.

Mirkwood however is skippable as there is the Enedwaith zone as an alternative.

I suppose you could skirmish your way all the way to 65 and skip both regions but that seems like a very long and boring path :)

• Dragonwitch Says:

It totally depends on how fast you’re trying to level. When I entered Moria for the first time, I was only 50k xp shy of level 60 by doing all of the quests and deeds in each region, including Eregion, leading to the Walls of Moria. It took a lon, long time to accomplish, but bear in mind that this was before the introduction of skirmishes, so I think it’d be much easier now. ;)

24. rooshzat Says:

In the Heroic Edition does each character get to choice a color or is it a choice for all the characters on an account?

25. Arieltalia Says:

Stupid question: Does “more deeds” mean that there will be more virtue levels?

26. Ellix Says:

Just to confirm, will the quest packs also be immediately available after pre-ordering, along with all the bonus items?

27. Sander Says:

Well, it seems that Turbine is overloaded with upgrade requests… The account page is either giving errors or it shows they are in maintainance. :(

28. Brainslug Says:

By the way:
    Who casted the guy for the german version?

Seriously … Saruman with a russian accent is rather silly than fearsome.

• Eva Says:

Good Lord. Probably they didn’t want to shell out the money for a native speaker, but one would really expect Saruman to have spend enough time in Middle-earth to have gotten the hang of speaking the local languages. I’m pretty sure that the books don’t mention him having any accent either, but rather emphasise his great skills of speech and persuasion.

Once again I’m glad that I’m playing the game in English, precisely because I’ve learned to avoid German localisations, which are often quite bad.

29. Andy Says:

Went for the hero version myself as I’ve bounced between vip and premium so the questpacks were of no real use.

The xp buff is a pocket item that has max level of 65 and stacks with rested xp so I can see myself using it to bypass some stages of levelling or just using it to wring a bit more xp from a skirmish.

Red cosmetics look pretty good, liking the offset gloves and the flap at the top of the cloak to make it more a riding style garment, though the circlet is a bit odd.

30. Ciraph Says:

I am absolutely furious about this. I’m from the UK. We get this for £40. US players can purchase it for $50.

AND YET £40 IS $64.54 !!!

Screw that. This game is biased towards americans, with server downtime being whilst they’re comfy and asleep, but us Europeans suffer because we can’t play throughout half the god-damn day.

Turbine can get stuffed.

Goldenstar Says:

The price difference typically stems from the fact that Europe has a VAT that Turbine must collect. The U.S. has no such over all tax.

Also the time frame is typically 6am-10am for which I am very much awake and not comfy and asleep (although I am typically preparing for or at work). However, should I be home on a maintenance day, my wait time and frustration at not being able to play is no different.

1. Clearing Up Isengard Pre-Order Questions | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - June 7, 2011

[...] been receiving and reading a lot of questions about the new Isengard pre-order packages and thought a post trying to answer them would be helpful for some who are trying do decide which [...]

2. Weekly Poll: Pre-Purchasing Isengard | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - June 11, 2011

[...] the big E3 announcement of Rise of Isengard launching September 27th plus the new pre-purchasing plans I’m curious which if any of the plans you may be ordering. I [...]

3. Episode 92: Cinnamon Roll Place | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - June 12, 2011

[...] Rise of Isengard Launch Date Announced! [...]

4. New Rise of Isengard Concept Art | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - July 14, 2011

[...] Today, Turbine has released new concept art from The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard, the upcoming expansion. The new concept art piece depicts Draigoch, one of the most powerful creatures in Middle-earth, and the boss in the new 24-player raid coming with Rise of Isengard, which launches on September 27th. [...]

5. New Rise of Isengard Screenshots of Dunland | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - July 20, 2011

[...] Today, Turbine has released a new batch of screenshots from The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard. The screenshots show the brand-new region of Dunland, one of three new regions coming with Rise of Isengard, which launches on September 27th. [...]

6. Isenguard rises on the 27th! « adayinmiddleearth - July 23, 2011

[...] http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/2011/06/rise-of-isengard-launching-september-27/ [...]

7. [LOTRO News] Rise of Isengard Screenshots of Dunland Screenshots - Ultima Online Forums - July 27, 2011

[...] News] Rise of Isengard Screenshots of Dunland Screenshots a new batch of screenshots from The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard. The screenshots show the brand-new region of Dunland,one of three new regions coming with Rise of [...]

8. Weekly Store Sales starting July 29, 2011 | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - July 28, 2011

[...] Enedwaith if that’s where your interests lie. Remember if you purchase (or plan to purchase) the Legendary Edition of the Rise of Isengard, this region is [...]

9. Rise of Isengard Monster Play Screenshots | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - August 3, 2011

[...] Turbine has released a new batch of screenshots from The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard, which will launch on September 27th. The new screenshots provide the first look at updates and enhancements being made to Monster Play [...]

10. New Rise of Isengard Screenshots: Epic Story | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - August 10, 2011

[...] screenshots from The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard, the upcoming expansion, which will launch on September 27th. The new screenshots provide a closer look at the continuation of the epic [...]

11. New Screenshots of Draigoch | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - August 17, 2011

[...] is at GamesCom in Germany this week and has released some new screenshots for the Rise of Isengard expansion depicting the new 24-man raid boss, [...]

12. Win a Rise of Isengard Legendary Edition | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - August 19, 2011

[...] Rise of Isengard is the next expansion launching on September 27, 2011 and the Legendary Edition contains some very special goodies that you will receive immediately! [...]

13. What Exactly Is Coming With Isengard? | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - August 24, 2011

[...] or the 25% exp boost item, you need to purchase the the expansion before release in one of their pre-order packages. These goodies are for the pre-order only and will not be available after launch of [...]

14. Rise of Isengard NDA Lifted & New Screenshots | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - August 26, 2011

[...] The Rise of Isengard beta NDA is now lifted! All of you who were in the closed beta no longer need to keep all the information to yourself and can share your experiences with Turbine’s upcoming expansion, Rise of Isengard. [...]

15. Rise of Isengard LOTRO Store Pricing Announced | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - September 8, 2011

[...] is it worth it for you to buy the pre-order before September 27th, or just wait and get it in the store? Well of course this will depend on [...]

16. Gap of Rohan Video Dev Diary & Screenshots | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - September 9, 2011

[...] has released a new video dev diary about Rise of Isengard today. We are currently only 17 days away from launch of this new [...]

17. Final Day to Pre-Order Rise of Isengard | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - September 26, 2011

[...] a post to remind folks that today is the final day to pre-order Rise of Isengard before it’s launch tomorrow. If you were interested in obtaining the pre-order but were holding out, this is your last [...]

18. The LOTRO Market | Casual Stroll to Mordor - May 24, 2012

[...] to for the Riders of Rohan expansion. Could this be a sign that pre-orders are coming soon? It was right after E3 last year that we saw the Isengard pre-order offers. expansion, LOTRO Market, Turbine Points, [...]

19. Riders of Rohan – Higher Prices, Fewer Incentives « The Ancient Gaming Noob - June 7, 2012

[...] with the Isengard expansion pre-orders, I was actually tempted by the top tier because it gave you three in-game mounts, three sets of [...]

20. Welcome to the Riddermark…… « Gondor Awaits - July 18, 2012

[...] $49.99 for heroic, and $69.99 for the legendary which is a $10-$20 increase from just last years Rise of Isengard. My first thought was finally I mean we have been screaming for Rohan since we got out of [...]

21. Welcome to the Riddermark...... | Gondor Awaits - August 25, 2012