Living in the Old Forest

December 22, 2011

General

Hidden deep within the Old Forest, Tom Bombadil’s home is a sanctuary for weary travellers and lost hobbits of all kind. The peculiar man opens the doors of his modest abode to everyone willing to sit down for a while, and listen to his stories. Decoration wise, Bombadil’s house is also one of my favourite place in Middle-Earth. Modest and enchanting, the ambiance is absolutely spot on. So even if you’re level 75, next time you’re waiting for your group to get ready, take a stroll down the forest and pay the old man a visit. It’s a place worth going back to!

ScreenShot00000

Tom’s house appears to be out of fully grown trees and mossy stone.

ScreenShot00011A balcony runs around the house, were you can find pretty lanterns hanging in the night.

ScreenShot00012

On the ground, you’ll find Tom has a pretty elaborate herb garden, with a large variety of flowers, plants and ivy. Most of them are carefully planted in stone basins, like the ones on the right side of the picture.

ScreenShot00010

The house also comes with a garden shed on the side. Pretty enough that I really would like to make it my own!

ScreenShot00001

Final feature of the exterior design: the absolutely amazing door. I don’t know how they call a door with 4 folding sections but the light and the carving of the window is gorgeous!

ScreenShot00002

The interior decoration is pretty humble, but some unique (i.e. totally weird) pieces can be found (i.e. a kissing face on the chimney?!)

ScreenShot00003

Tom’s fascination with plants continues inside with numerous planters on the floor. There are also a couple of uncommon chairs in the main room that really complete the comfy look of the house.

ScreenShot00007

Looking closer, you can see all the planters are from a collection of blue china! Oh that would look great in some houses I know…

ScreenShot00005

I can also imagine the house smells great with the many hanging herbs on the ceiling.

ScreenShot00009

In the back room, a well furnished kitchen awaits for dinner.

ScreenShot00006

Finally, a wooden green door and stairs leads up to what I can image is the guest room  and an upstairs master bedroom. What a truly beautiful and simple house. A must-see!

, , ,

10 Responses to “Living in the Old Forest”

1. Isilwren Says:

In LOTR Tolkien writes of how Goldberry would use the bowls of lilies to dip her feet in. Being that she was the river daughter I would imagine she needed some connection to water at all times. So, the chair, surrounded by bowls of lilies would be Goldberry’s sitting place.

There are so many aspects of this house that I love and wish were available for our own homes. Those doors, the fireplace, the remoteness of NOT being in a “neighborhood” type setting.

2. Daria Says:

I do love Tom’s house in the game, compared to the books though it does not look exactly as I imagined.

3. Tony Says:

Finding this the first time was really great. There are a lot of things like that – the sense of discovery in this game is just really wonderful.

The Old Forest is funny in that I still find things there I’ve not noticed before. The other day I came across a named area… I can’t recall the name (shadowed grove or something?), but it was a dark pool of water with gnarled trees and wisps of smoke/fog in certain areas.

There were no enemies in it at all (so it’s not to be confused with the much larger bear infested area that sounds similar). Is there something that happens there?

• Baranwen Says:

Maybe there’s one of the flowers. I did the flowers deed many times, and I never remember where they are, and I have to run around to find them.

And I never forget the first time I found Tom’s house, with the music and the soft light, so relaxing and comforting.

4. Elinnea Says:

I love Tom Bombadil’s house – it’s still one of my favorite places in the game. It’s so wonderful to come across as you’re wandering lost in the frightening forest, and the melody always lifts my spirits.

I had never noticed the face above the fireplace, though. Interesting…

5. Cosmetic Lotro Says:

Oh, shame on me, I never went into the backroom! What a lovely house! I can just hear Tom’s melody singing in my ear. Thank you for another delightful tour!! I love your tours and am always looking forward to them!

6. Robert Says:

“They were in a long low room, filled with the light of lamps swinging from the beams of the roof; and on the table of dark polished wood stood many candles, tall and yellow, burning brightly.
    In a chair, at the far side of the room facing the outer door, sat a woman. Her long yellow hair rippled down her shoulders; her gown was green, green as young reeds, shot with silver like beads of dew; and her belt was of gold, shaped like a chain of flag-lilies set with the pale-blue eyes of forget-me-nots. About her feel in wide vessels of green and brown earthenware, white water-lilies were floating, so that she seemed to be enthroned in the midst of a pool.”

7. enrious Says:

I love the Tom Bombadril house music and if you get Ally (I think) with the Mathom House, you can get the music for your own house.

8. Limm Says:

I love Tom Bombadil’s house! So lovely, I want to live there. :)

9. Amaline Says:

I have more than once wandered through Old Tom’s place trying to sketch out the plans for it. I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s a perfect plot of land in Zig Zag, Oregon, for me to build this thing on….