Riders of Rohan- A Monster’s Perspective

January 30, 2012

Monster Play, Opinions

While most people read the announcement of RoR (pronounced RAWR! by me) and thought that it was awesome, I was left with more questions than answers. This is because I recently got added on to CSTM for a PVMP article and have been thinking in PVMP mentality for the last few weeks.  I was going to post my first issue of “How to be a Monster” and then RoR got announced.  After reading from multiple sites, I could not shake away PVMP questions about RoR.  I decided that while the news was still fresh I would write about how this expansion could change PVMP forever.

A nice place to fight

I first want to talk about the guarantied positives before we move on into the questions of what monster play will be like in this expansion.  In the expansion the level cap will be raised ten levels to 85.  This gives Creeps a temporary buff because we are automatically promoted to level 85.  This allows most Creeps to solo against Freeps without having to worry much about death.  This also provides an easy supply of destiny points and infamy for a few weeks.  If you have a low level Creep then this will be the best time to try to level them up, even if you only do quests and get maps.  Also a lot of Freeps will focus on the new content instead of PVMP.  This usually creates a nice peaceful zone where getting quests and maps is easy for all players and the Ettenmoors is under complete control of the Creeps for about a month.  These two things create a nice break for both sides from the constant fighting.

A major feature that is getting people excited for RoR is the conformation of mounted combat.  I have been looking forward to go into combat as a hunter and shoot enemies from afar since the rumor came out around the time of the RoI expansion was announced a year ago.  The big advantage of mounted combat becomes clear whenever an enemy gets close you can just ride away on your horse and pick him off from afar again.  I don’t know how they will get a burglar into stealth while mounted because this would imply that the horse is either invisible, or it is sneaking up behind you without a visible rider.  Anyway I think you can already tell that if Freeps had mounted combat in PVMP, then it could cause a huge imbalance that would need to be corrected.

The obvious solution is to just simply limit the Freeps from going into the Ettenmoors with their new mounts.  This creates a problem, however, if mounted combat is as fun as Turbine claims it is in the interview with Turbine from Massively’s Justin Olivetti.  I would not want to leave the new feature just to fight some Creeps in a nearly five year old zone.  This could create huge drops in the number of Freeps in the Ettenmoors.  However, it could be what Turbine is counting on and would then proceed to make PVMP open to free to play accounts.  Opening the zone to free to play Freeps was not previously thought feasible because of the advantage that Freeps have on some servers.  The new mounts might even be limited to just Rohan in which case the roll playing excuse would probably be that we were allowed to borrow the armored horses in order to defend Rohan and only Rohan.  This would be a clever excuse Turbine could use to justify a decision to keep your mount in Rohan.

Another solution Turbine could use to balance the new mounted combat system would be to give Creeps the chance to have mounted combat.  This would allow both sides to use the new feature and keep up the number of people in the Ettenmoors on both sides.  The obvious mount, of course, would be wargs.  I think many warg players would find this awkward however seeing other people riding things just like you.  This could take away some of the specialness of being a warg if every character had a warg under them.  This would make the wargs feel like a mount instead of a class.  Could you imagine if Turbine announced a new horse class where you only controlled a horse?  That would basically be the Freep equivalent of this solution.  The only other common creature that has a history of being mounted would be a fell beast.  However, having a fell beast would be lore breaking because only Ringwraiths can ride them, even though it would make mounted combat balanced (and would be awesome).

I can see our fort from here

A rumor about a new zone came out around the same time last year as the rumor for mounted combat.  While I am not saying that this is going to happen it would solve some problems.  If there was a new PVMP zone that was near Rohan, they could create it with mounted combat in mind.  Also, how awesome would it be after five years to finally have a new zone for monster play?  During the first three expansions Turbine has put monster play to the side in order to advance the Freep adventure.  Hopefully the year old rumor is true and we will be getting a new zone to creep in sometime this fall.

Also in the Massively interview with Turbine was another new system that will be coming before RoR (remember it’s RAWR!).  It is going to allow Freeps to take their soldiers to any place on the map excluding instances.  While Turbine did not say if soldiers would be allowed in PVMP, I could not help but to think about what would happen if this was allowed.  I would be okay with allowing Freeps to bring soldiers into the Ettenmoors (or a new zone) but only if the Creeps get to pick what Creep soldiers they get.  Since there are six kinds of soldiers on the Freep side there would need to be an equal amount on the Creep side.

Some people would argue that Creeps are a little under powered in the Ettenmoors so I think that Creep soldiers should be clearly balanced to the Freep soldiers to keep from other arguments from breaking out.  Keeping this in mind, my soldier selection would be a lore breaking baby fell beast, evil aurochs (way better then a light bulb), ranged spiders, mounted goblins, baby wargs and armored trolls.  Of course Turbine could just save the trouble by not allowing soldiers in the Ettenmoors, and instead make Creeps a little more powerful.  If they increased the strength of each Creep class just a little, that would be enough to justify the inclusion of soldiers for Freeps in PVMP, at least for me.  Also I think it would be fun having some easier targets for monster players than the normal Freep.

I hope that Turbine will also focus on providing new skills to the Creep side of the game.  While we do have a good number of skills it does not even come close to the amount that Freeps have.  I find this an unfortunate imbalance of the two sides that could easily be fixed in RoR.  We don’t even need more ranks; we just need new low level skills for each monster play class.  This alone could be used to balance the current low level fight in PVMP.  While all the other changes are possible, this change would be the easiest to implement and could have major balancing effects in the current conflict.  I would be surprised if turbine does not give monsters new skills when the level cap is raised in RoR.

I would like to also mention that Justin Olivetti’s interview with Turbine included Turbine saying that giving free to play players the right to play in monster play is an important change of 2011 to LotRO.  This could mean that Turbine is looking at PVMP as an important part of the game now and will look at adding in improvements throughout 2012.  It will be an interesting year for PVMP and the rest of LotRO.  I am excited to have joined the CSTM team at such a big time in LotRO’s life.

See you next week in the first issue of “How to be a Monster”.

The first step of becoming a monster is showing your allegiance to Saruman by bowing willingly.

, , , , , , , , ,

About Andang

A lifelong Tolkien fan, Andang loves just about anything related to Tolkien. Andang is also a lifelong hardcore gamer with a huge love for any genre of game, as long as it is good. Andang currently writes for A Casual Stroll to Mordor and Middle-Earth Network's Gaming Team. He is also a co-host on Random Fandom, a weekly news podcast here on Middle-Earth Network. You can also find Andang on his YouTube channel and his Facebook page and if all that is not enough he has a twitter as well.

43 Responses to “Riders of Rohan- A Monster’s Perspective”

1. Pineleaf Says:

One note here: the ability to bring soldiers into the open landscape is slated for Update 6, rather then RoR.

Andang Says:

Actually it is “relatively soon” according to the Massively interview and is not going to be part of Update 6 or RoR (while yes this is after the “update 6″ bold title it is a different bold title for the skirmish soldier not a subgroup of Update 6). Other sites that I have read also confirm this to be true. Your right though about it not being part of RoR so thank you for keeping me honest Pineleaf yet I thought that it fit in the post.

2. honvik Says:

Has it not already been stated clearly that the new mount system is,limited to rohan and not for current areas ? I could swear i read that. Pvmp in its current form is an out dated, bland pvp experience that should of been revised awhile ago. It needs a big overhaul including new areas to explore !.

• Nerves Says:

That is how I read it.

Andang Says:

Actually according to Ten Ton Hammer mounted combat could be in PVMP “There was no mention of whether or not mounted combat would be useable in PvMP.” However Goldenstar did say on the show that mounted combat was limited to just the plains of Rohan (she might have read somthing I didn’t) but according to Ten Ton Hammer mounted combat might happen in PVMP.

3. Avatar of Andang
    Andang Says:

Actually it is “relatively soon” according to the Massively interview and is not going to be part of Update 6 or RoR. Other sites that I have read also confirm this to be true. Your right though about it not being part of RoR so thank you for keeping me honest Pineleaf.

4. Plagus Says:

I thought mounted combat would only work in the new zones (ie Rohan etc) not in any existing areas? I assumed this would include the ‘Moors.

Andang Says:

Actually according to Ten Ton Hammer “There was no mention of whether or not mounted combat would be useable in PvMP.” However Goldenstar did say on the show that mounted combat was limited to just the plains of Rohan (she might have read somthing I didn’t) but according to Ten Ton Hammer mounted combat might happen in PVMP.

• Goreamir Says:

Yep, it’s only slated to work in the “East Plains” zone from what I read, and will probably be implemented the western part of Rohan when it comes out.
      I think we will probably be limited to a specific set of horse-based attacks when we are mounted, so burglars won’t have to worry about how stealth will work on horseback, etc.

Andang Says:

Ten Ton Hammer did say that it will only be in the East Plains but when they asked turbine about PVMP they did not give a definitive response. This likely means a new zone but I would not read in to much into that.

5. Isaiah Says:

I think Orc/Uruk players should be able to ride Warg players! That would promote some real teamwork! :)

6. Clarysta Sunshine Says:

I’m not worried at all about mounted combat showing up in pvp. That would require extensive development time and frankly, that level of attention just hasn’t happened in the past and I don’t expect it in the future. Same with skirmish soldiers in the Moors – much cheaper and easier to just not include them.

I think riding a spider would be more comfortable than a warg. I think we should all get mammoths though.

Andang Says:

I completely agree that Turbine will likely not make any changes to Monster Play but a Creep can dream can’t he.

Oh yeah, and mammoths would be awesome

7. Stephenfry Says:

It would be nice to see answers to these. Nice article, im looking forward to your series. Yay Imladris!

8. mrtoad Says:

“Most people would agree that Creeps are a little under powered in the Ettenmoors….”

Whoa there partner! :) In the midst of a very well-written article, please don’t drop controversial bombs like this one. Especially without any evidence to back them up. I think the only thing that anyone can agree on about the Moors balance is that it is an extremely complex and dynamic environment to balance. (Full disclosure: I only play freep-side on the Landroval server, and my highest freep is a rank 8 hunter.)

The root of all balance problems in the Moors (and also what makes it such a fun environment to play in) is that 1) Freep gear and skill versus Creep rank and skill vary widely on any given night, 2) there is a rock-paper-scissor relationship between many of the Creep and Freep classes, 3) many fights are decided by overwhelming numbers–ie which side has the most logged on and present in force at a given location.

Believe it or not, even as a freep-only player I have a lot of sympathy for brand new and low-ranked creeps who are just starting out. They are faced with the choice of either grinding for a year or more to get decent rank or buying all their skills with Turbine points to give them a fighting chance. But once creeps reach the mid-ranks (I’d say rank 6 for a creep based on my fighting them) they become a force to be reckoned with. Therefore, I’d change the creep ranking system to dramatically accelerate their ranking experience up to rank 6, so they can get into the game and become viable much faster.

If freeps have any big advantage (purely imo) it’s a meta-game one. If I get face-rolled a couple nights in a row, I can take a break from the moors and PvE to my heart’s content to get better gear and come back to crush the Creeps later (no offense, I love all you creeps and if you weren’t there to fight there’d be no fun game :) ) Creeps who get beat time after time have no viable way (other than quests and some negligible stuff to do in delving for potions, etc.) to increase their tank–they *have* to fight again and again. So to correct this imbalance I’d have Turbine create a single monster-only zone where Creeps could get items and other cool things to equip their characters with (yes, this would be a big change and Turbine would have to code creeps being able to equip items). That way, Creeps could take a breather from fighting and practice their team-work and raid skills in a Creep-only zone.

I think a big advantage lots of new Freeps have over new Creeps is that often the Freeps have deep experience in teamwork on the PvE side. Whereas, at least on Landroval, some Ceep players have told me a lot of the new Creeps signing up have never leveled a PvE toon and don’t know how to work in groups (nothing against them, they’re just not experienced.)

I’ve played this game since summer of 2007 and been in the Moors on different Freep characters since 2008. I’ve observed both sides over the years complaining that their side is underpowered and that the other side needs to be nerfed. Recently I wondered “If both sides are constantly complaining about each other, does that mean they’re actually at a decent point of equilibrium?” Creep mitigations are bugged atm and need to be increased to the pre-patch 5 levels.

Other than that, I don’t see any glaring imbalances, at least not on Landroval. When in a Freep raid fighting a Creep raid with even numbers, I feel as though we are wiping the other side at around the same rate that they are wiping us. In solo matches against mid-ranked wargs and spiders, I feel as though I win about 50% of the time. It is impossible for a hunter to beat a well-played, high-ranked BA (the Creep version of the hunter) one-on-one. I got owned three times in a row the other night after running back three times from the rez circle to fight a BA — between their 30-seond evade and 7k morale Uruk heal, and overall 14k morale, I don’t have a chance. But I would never dream of asking for BAs to be nerfed because I realized they need those buffs to survive in a raid vs. raid conflict.

So by all means please keep up the great articles on the moors. Certainly Creep players have to be very mentally tough and initially have it hard when they’re lowly “greenies.” But please do not make blanket statements about balance in the moors that come across like Creep propaganda. Maybe CSTM could host a roundtable discussion of high-ranked Freeps and Creeps (maybe some who play both sides too) that tries to reach a consensus about balance in the Moors and solutions that Turbine can take to address any imbalances?

• Muzkrai Says:

No offense but saying that PvP is not unbalanced (favoring freeps) is an idiotic statement. It’s a fact that freeps are OP in most situations.

If creeps beat the freeps most of the times – at least on Wilthywindle we like to roflpwn freeps – it’s because we are used to doing a lot of teamwork, focus-fire and communication in raids (heck, even soloing we know our class, there aren’t as many skills as in freepside). Freeps are used to easy-mode: fighting machines that usually target one predetermined person, staying alive by using bubbles or relying on a healer, pressing buttons in an almost random way to kill the machine and then move on to the next NPC, meanwhile the group doesn’t need a lot of communication unless the raid/instance is a hard one because everyone already had 75 levels to learn what buttons to press.

A 12-man freep raid can handle a 24-man creep raid (there are TONS of videos with freep OPness), they just need awesome teamwork and to assign clear tasks for each raid-member… that’s what freeps are not used to (they are used to: Get in an instance -> Pew Pew -> PROFIT; or to soloing, which is even worse except for minis in WS)

But I think the main reason is still undervalued: the Warleader. He’s our main-healer (group-heals with just a click) AND main-tank. He serves as the bullseye, kites freeps and heals while the other classes (reavers, BA’s and wargs mainly) burn down targets, even with their ridiculous DPS (so we obviously focus-fire, not following RAT = mortal sin)). But if it’s low-ranked WL it’s useless either way so… :P

As for mounted-combat I’d like to see mumakils: other PvP games have a couple of large vehicles where one side needs several people to work on that vehicle together for it to be successful (for example a chopper or a tank in Battlefield), it’s all a matter of adjusting to the Middle-Earth reality… but as soon as GW2 comes out me and a lot of people are out of here so I don’t really care about what they might add in an expansion I won’t even play (much less pay for… :P)

• mrtoad Says:

Muzkrai, you compeltely discredited your argument and any experience in the moors when you wrote

“A 12-man freep raid can handle a 24-man creep raid”

I have never seen that in my life and I’ve played in the moors for 1000s of hours freepside. A 24-person creep raid that can’t dominate a 12-person freep raid needs to learn to play so badly, I can’t even comprehend how badly they need to ltp!

“It’s a fact that freeps are OP in most situations.”

Then why do so many creeps still play? If the game is so absurdly unfair and unbalanced to creeps, then why log in? I don’t think creep side would last very long if that were true.

I’ll say it again: I’ve read PvMP players on both sides whining about how the other side needs to be nerfed or their side needs to be buffed since 2008. It’s my personal opinion that PvMP is probably more balanced than both sides either know or would admit.

Finally, I enjoy the spirited discussion and of course don’t mean to come across rude or disrespectful. The Moors can be an unpleasant place to play sometimes, and I don’t want to add to that negativity. Heck, over the years the things that have turned me off the most about PvMP wasn’t anything to do with the Freeps, it was mean-spirted jerks on the Freep side :D

Andang Says:

After the acceptance of Free to Play players in the Moors the dynamic has changed durrastically at least now that the majority of the population is F2P on Imladris. I see your argument before the influx of new players but now (on Imladris) a 6 man Freep group has taken down a 24 man Creep with a good leader (because most of the Creeps were under R4). It also helped that the group of 6 had 3 minstrils.

If the group of Creeps is higher ranked however then things seem to be balanced and just come down to organization and leadership. The only difference is the time it takes for a Creep to level compaired to a Freep.

Andang Says:

While your arguement did change my opinion a little on if Freeps are OP or not, it does not change the situation on Imladris. I don’t know if you remember, but Imladris was added as a new server when the free to play conversion happend. That means that it has been availiable for a little less then a year and a half. This makes our battles fairly hard because our Creeps are all relatively new in the grand scheme of things. If we have a good leader that leads the freeps into NPCs then we can beat them but in an equal number fight (aleast on Imladris) the Freeps are OP. Also I agree that Creeps need to be able to level faster (at least as fast as freeps can (one time I power leveled a Freep to cap in just 2 days))

• Muzkrai Says:

Wilthywindle is also one of the newest servers, albeit we have some tranfers not all raid leaders are tranfers, with infamy-gain via quests I’ve been able to gain r8 since the moors opened to f2p, and many have done the same, In equal number we generally beat the freeps if we have enough high-ranks and if the freeps don’t communicate too well

But we also have freep OPness of course, heck right now the freeps are farming Orc Camp (if they pull the tyrant it’s no big deal as they can just kite/reset it)

The time for a creep to reach r5 (the minimum to be competitive in a raid) is too long

Andang Says:

I think a fix to the problem then would simply be to make getting to R5 faster and maybe improving some of the skills from R1 through R5. I did notice that once I was at R5 I could solo about half the freeps. This is because of the heal and power over time skills along with the good skills you get at R5. Also at R5 you can get race traits for the first time if you don’t get them from the store.
          Thanks for the incite to other servers

• mrtoad Says:

I think you both need to roll a creep on Landroval and see how creeps consistently beat freeps in even-numbered fights. If a well-balanced (ie class diversity of defilers, BAs, Wls, etc) raid of creeps ranked 6 or higher can’t beat an equal numbered Freep raid around 50% of the time (granted some nights it might be 40-45%, other nights higher), then, no offense, but you those creeps gotta ltp. Like I said, on Landroval, equal-numbered freep raids get rolled by creep raids all the time, roughly 50% in my experience. When a raid I’m in gets rolled by an equal-numbered creep force, we don’t whine about being underpowered, we look at what we have to do better. Lots of times it comes down to who got the drop on who first (ie surprises, flanking, etc).

Again, I don’t mean to be arrogant and once I hit rank 9 on my hunter I’ll actually try to roll a creep on each of your servers and try it out. I’ll certainly give you both the benefit of the doubt and concede that on new servers, creeps may be at a disadvantage due to lower overall ranks and lower depth of leadership and experience. But also the freeps have not been playing PvMP as much either. Though they probably have 1000s more hours experience of playing their class in PvE, which as I mention in my original argument above gives freeps a “meta-game” advantage. And I proposed a seperate PvE area for Creeps in order to be able to relax and learn how to work as a team better without the pressure of a PvP environment.

What I’d really like to see in this game are PvMP skirmishes. First of all, for the fun factor. I’d like to make it so that no matter, win, lose or draw, both sides get decent rewards for participating. But the data that Turbine could analyze from those skirmishes would be invaluable because it would once and for all settle the balance issue–ie, adjusted for rank, gear, etc., the freep vs creep win ration should be close to 50%.

I’ll leave you both with this challenge: Lead those raids and beat those freeps. For the longest time I thought my hunter didn’t have a chance against a warg 1 on 1. Finally after getting pounced and owned 100s of times and also listening to the advice and builds of higher-ranked hungers, I have finally gotten to the point where I feel like I have an equal chance against a warg that pounces me from stealth. So for years I thought the game was imbalanced and wargs could unfairly own hunters. But in reality I was a noob that needed to ltp.

Finally, thank you both Muzkrai and Andang for taking the time to read and comment on my opinions. Believe it or not, I want the game to be as fair and balanced as possible for both freeps and creeps, because that means that more people will want to fight, more fun will be had by both sides, and PvMP can grow. Don’t forget I mentioned that creep mitigations are borked and need to be fixed asap, on that there is no dispute.

Andang Says:

I agree that on older servers things are very balanced as I have played on elder ones; but on the new ones even with great leaders it still comes down to what rank your group is compaired to what level the enemy is. I have lead raids to greatness and killed plenty of Freeps, yet when I lead I look to see what Rank our group is comprised of. When it has good ranks we win, when it has bad ranks we loose and when it is balanced it comes down to tactics.

Goldenstar Says:

I will point out that Andang is not alone in his opinions of the current outlook of balance between creeps and freeps as this comment thread would seem to indicate.

Ivaneus of Through the Palantir talks about it in Episode 23 he recently released. He called the firepower of the free people as “out of control”.

Don’t feel alone Andang. You are not.

Andang Says:

I realize I am not alone but I also realize that my article was very Creep minded and was based off of only one server experience. I know that there are plenty of players that agree with my feelings on Imladris yet I felt it necissary to accomidate the Freep commenters by keeping my generalizations like “most players would agree” to a low.

Thank you Goldenstar for your encouraging words.

9. eaowyn Says:

I’m sorry but *most* people do not agree that creeps are underpowered in the moors, because with high ranks they are the OP ones. Only certain classes could solo and win the highest ranked creeps, and in that case its a handful at least. It depends on which classes you compare, but to say most people is not true, perhaps to say alot would be more fair… for the record i got a rank 8 hunter and other characters from r1-6. Not every server is the same also.

On another note, I wouldnt mind fightig a mounted orc on a warg with my horse, sounds like fun.

10. Blister Says:

Dont the older servers outnumber the newer server greatly? If so the situation you experience is very much a server specific issue and not one that is found on the majority of servers. It is also one which given time will sort itself out.

My own experience is that the balance of power usually is down to a number of things. These make it extremely difficult for any creditable judgment to be made on balance as they are more often then not in play.

1. The side which has the greatest number of players online.

2. The side which has an organised raid. Often there will be times when only one side has created a raid and the other side despite having the same numbers are not grouped.

3. The side which has a knowledgeable leader who can out manoeuvre his opponents by engaging them when they least expect it.

Andang Says:

I now realize that this is the case due to the number of people whom have the same opinion. I have since modified my article to reflect the majority of the LotRO PVMP community. Yet I hope that you still realize where I was comming from on Imladris.

• mrtoad Says:

I totally hear where you were coming from in your original article. To be fair, you only said “a little” in the favor of Freeps, it’s not like you were trying to vastly exaggerate or anything like that. I’d still love to hear a CSTM roundtable discussion of Moor’s balance. I think if we could hear from a table of “experts” who have played one or both sides for a long time on multiple servers (old and new), it’d be very revealing. Especially if everyone committed to a tone of mutual respect and not exaggerating or propagandizing anything for “their side.”

11. vr00mfondel Says:

My experience (roaming the moors with reaver and BA) is that in raid vs raid, it’s all down to teamwork and skill. But soloing, the freeps are OP, especially Minstrels and Champions.

Champ vs Reaver would be almost perfectly balanced if the champs didn’t have the bubbles.

Minstrels just seem to constantly devastate four skills in a row and have you dead before you know what happened. That we have our lowest mitigation against light-damage doesn’t exactly help.

As for coming changes in PvMP with RoR, I wouldn’t hope for much, perhaps a new tree with attached bird, perhaps somewhere outside Lug GY… I would like to see a new zone, or a big revamp of Ettenmoors, but I just don’t think it’s gonna happen, first of all they should take a look at the balancing and see what can be done to improve 1vs1 fights, but to keep raid vs raid fights where they are…

• vr00mfondel Says:

Also, boost Reavers AOE skills a bit, they are quite wothless as it is now, and it’s just stupid that Reaver AOE is so far away from champs AOE in damage…

Andang Says:

I completely agree that reavers seem to be the most basic (at least early on) compaired to the other classes. You must understand though that they are NOT a champion. Thier advantage is their speed. If they use the speed correctly then they can get quick easy kills and also chase people whom are running from combat very effectively where a champion is more of a tank (but obviously not the main freep tank)

12. Damsadan Says:

I enjoyed this article a lot because I am what you could say “perma-creep”. finally seeing a monsterplay update would be fantastic after turbine multiple disappointments for MP. please keep the MP articles coming!

Andang Says:

Thanks for the encouragement. I think the more people talk and write about MP the more Turbine will listen. My goal is that someday there will be a new zone or at least a big update to PVMP.

13. Damsadan Says:

With the roundtable in discussion how would you go about getting on roundtable?

1. Episode 125: Seventy-four-and-a-half | A Casual Stroll to Mordor - February 5, 2012

[...] New Writer Andang: Riders of Rohan – A Monster’s Perspective [...]