Mithril Edition Digital Download $15

April 23, 2012

General

lotro-mithril-editionGameStop has a deal on digital download of The Lord of the Rings Online: Mithril Edition. Normally $29.99, you can download for $14.99!

This is a great deal considering what is included with the Mithril Edition digital copy:

• Exclusive Steed of the Horse-lord mount
  • 2000 Turbine Points
  • Path of the Fellowship Quest Pack (Trollshaws, Eregion, Moria & Lothlorien)

The 2000 Turbine Points alone is worth more than $15 and all the stuff is just gravy. Delicious delicious gravy for those who were in need of the quest pack and/or steed to their account.

The Mithril Edition is an excellent starter kit for someone just finding their footing in LOTRO but to be perfectly honest, at this price I’m sorely tempted to pick it up for myself.

feature_pic_1After purchasing GameStop will mail you the code to input at your myaccount.turbine.com account. You can apply this right away.

It asks for payment information which every time gets someone into thinking they have to be VIP to apply the code. That is not the case. When it asks for payment information select “Game Time Card” and select that you don’t have one and it will finish adding the code without requiring you to go VIP.

Very special thank you goes to Tony J. who alerted us to this sale on our Facebook page!

, , , , , , ,

66 Responses to “Mithril Edition Digital Download $15”

1. Tanner Says:

Is this deal a temporary thing, and if so, is there any hint of how long it will last?

• Tanner Says:

I whent ahead and got it right away for my and my wife’s accounts, it was really just too good a deal to miss!

• Ariadneth Says:

May I ask if you buy one for both or have to buy it twice? My husband and I play together too

And another question just out of curiosity: which areas beyond these and RoI are not available for VIP players?

• Tony Says:

My understanding is that all that isn’t included with a VIP subscription is what is included with the expansions. So you can’t do the normal quests and all of that in Moria, Mirkwood or Dunland unless you buy the expansions or quest packages for those.

You do have to buy this twice. You can’t use the same code twice and the system won’t actually let you buy more than one from Gamestop at a time.

Goldenstar Says:

This deal is active until May 14, 2012

2. Godwineson Says:

How long is this sale in effect for?

3. Tony Says:

I bought it for the points alone, I’m not sure if there’s been a better deal than that. Yay!

4. royalbob of dwarrowdelf Says:

Nice find. Telling everybody about it

5. mixeddrinks Says:

how fast is that horse?

• Tanner Says:

It’s a 100 Morale +62% horse, so the same as the Hengstacers horses. It is however autogranted to all characters, present and new made.

6. Elahedor Says:

I went ahead and purchased it, just for the points.

The horse is a 62%/200 HP, just like the RoI preorder ones.

I went ahead and got the deal, its pretty good. with the points I’ll buy any other expansions i may need after my sub runs out this month on my last account

8. James Says:

I’m in Australia, will it still work?

9. Tony Says:

Just want to clarify — the horse only has 100 morale, not 200 morale.

It also took me a while to get it. While I got the points almost instantly, the mount took at least an hour or so. So don’t freak out if you don’t get it right away.

10. Ken Says:

I just got this deal and entered the code for the upgrade, and for some reason I got 1 day of VIP access on my account. I chose the Game Time Card option and checked the ‘enter later’ option and everything, and my account says VIP and it will expire April 25th, 2012. So I got one day, which unlocked all bags and removed gold cap on my new characters. I didn’t read anything about this online. Am I missing something?

• Tony Says:

Not sure what happened for you, but it definitely didn’t happen for me. It sounds like you were premium, like I am… so that’s odd.

Still, take advantage of it :). If you have any existing characters that do not have all of those perks, be certain to log in as them while you have VIP status. That will give them all of the VIP perks permanently if they don’t have it already.

• Writ Says:

I’m premium, I tried entering the code, and it doesn’t give me a game card option for later. it says “you cannot upgrade an account that his been suspended or downgraded” Please update ubscription to continue” It’s been an hour trying to see if i am missing something, and nothing. Someone help….

11. Mysteri Says:

Hey there guys,

I am in Australia James and I would just like to assure you that it does work here in OZ. I bought it, entered my code, logged into the game straight after and the horse and the Turbine Points were there. This is such a good deal, I hope lots of people get to take advantage of it. :)

Love your work Merric and Goldenstar :)

Have fun
    Mysteri

12. Ulrika Says:

This makes things difficult for me…should I buy the Mithril Edition at this price, or should I buy a retail box of Mines of Moria for about $15-20? On one hand, the Mithril Edition gives both TP and several QPs, but on the other hand the MoM box gives me RK, warden, skirmish ranks, 2 character slots and a month of VIP. I’m still going to have to buy a month of VIP for unlocks so that adds about $15 to the price of the Mithril Edition.

Anyone have some good advice?

• Hobbitmeister Says:

If this (Mithril Ed.) can be added (?) to existing account, you can get the best of both by going Moria retail box first and then adding this to it? I see someone above did add it to their account but they didn’t specify which type of account. I’m wondering if it will be blocked for some of us who already have most if not all of those QPs?

• Elahedor Says:

I am VIP with the Moria, Mirk, and RoI expansions, and I was able to add the code to my account; it didn’t overwrite anything.

• Tony Says:

Yes, I’ll chime in too — the code doesn’t care what you have. I own all of the areas and quest packs. You just wind up getting the TP and the horse.

• Ulrika Says:

Buying both feels a bit expensive to me, so I’m kinda wondering which one gives me the most for my money.

• Hobbitmeister Says:

Both have their pluses. Since both have Moria, don’t include that in the comparison.

Moria box:
        2x classes (Runekeeper and Warden)
        2x character slots
        Stage1 Skirmish ranks
        500TP
        VIP for 30 days which will unlock Currency cap/Traits/5Bags for characters logged in to during the VIP period.

Mithril Ed.:
        1x questpack (Lothlorien)
        Account-wide mount for all characters now and future
        2000 TP

Both are very compelling. Personally I would probably give Moria box the edge as long as you’re organized and create/level all “necessary” characters to or near 20 so when you do apply the Moria key, you can benefit from the free Riding Skill quest @Hengsyacer Farms for all those characters. I think it gives more value because of the slots/classes.

With Mithril, there is no pre-planning/organization required. Just apply the key and you’re good to go. The thing is you can buy a regular mount with ingame coin. That’s why I give it less wright than Moria’s slots/classes.

The only other deal that would be better is if ROI Legendary went on sale again @ 50% off, but that card isn’t on the table currently.

13. Hobbitmeister Says:

I saw this deal earlier today and was going to tweet you guys about it, but I got lazy and fifn’t log into Twitter as I was in the middle of something else. Definately a good deal.

Anyone know if it can be added to existing accounts??

14. Mysteri Says:

Hey there,

I am not sure this will answer Hobbitmeister’s query, but I am a VIP and have MoM on my account. I added Mithril Edition today with no problems.

If you get MoM and add it to your account, I can’t see why you couldn’t add the Mithril Edition during the months free VIP membership. I could be wrong, but well it did work for me as a VIP.

Not sure if that is helpful at all, but hopefully it is.

Have fun
    Mysteri

15. Kidnova Says:

Arghhh! I was hoping for a sale on ROI LE. My main is 63 and will need that content soon. This is a good deal, but it obviously doesn’t include ROI or Mirkwood. The extra 1000 TP in the Mithril Edition basically offsets Mirkwood, but ROI is my big need.

16. Andy Says:

Already have the mithril edition on my account as I bought a box for the TP’s.

Thing to note about the horse is that you’ll have to have the riding skill unlike for the (32%) bree pony but as you get plenty of points that shouldnt be an issue, less if it’s giving a day of vip and you’re around level 20.

17. Gabrandor of Landroval Says:

I just bought and added it to both of my accounts (VIP and Premium)
    didn’t have a problem adding them, it was a great deal on the TP and I’m a horse junkie, heh.

Glad I got Moria and such unlocked on the premium acct as I haven’t really used it for anything but creepside lately, might start leveling some old alts I have on it.

• Arnor-man Says:

Hey, I’m thinking about this for the points and the horse. I’m vip. Do I need to sit thru a download and take up hard drive for the points and the horse, thanks.

18. Jeremy Says:

I just paid $30 for this like a week ago. Figures….

19. hoolygen Says:

I picked it up today :)

20. Godwineson Says:

The email is separate from the invoice they mail you, or is the serial number on the invoice what you need?

Carica Says:

I was wondering about that too. I tried to enter the serial that was on the invoice, but it asked for my payment method info when I did, so I haven’t continued yet. Is it safe to continue?

21. Mims Says:

Weird, I read about the random free VIP time glitch yesterday and a friend bought us two packs today, as we’re returning premium players and want the points/goodies that come with them. Except it credited me with /three months/ of VIP rather than just one day.

Bwah?

• Crell of Riddermark, Vanguard Says:

Doubtful. More likely is you entered your billing information and werent’t paying attention. 1day is the common glitch.

• Mims Says:

Nah, I don’t think it was that. I used the game card option — choosing it as my subscription method then ticking ‘don’t have a card, will add later’ so I could get past that screen after entering my key.

The only card I have on file is a prepaid I used for a paid service. It has five cents on it and no charge activity.

• Pickles Says:

That happened to me when I applied my ROI preorder code. I got a free day of VIP and then my account’s subscription got suspended for non-payment. It made it impossible to add any new codes at the myturbine site (promotions, contest codes, expansion serials, etc) until a new subscription is bought.

22. Ralgar Says:

Thank you for this! what a great deal

23. Adastrea Says:

Can anyone tell me if the Mithril Edition includes the Moria instances?

24. Dino Says:

Umm, how long does it take for gamestop to mail you the code ? I bought it few hours ago, still didnt get any confirmation mail and/or code :/

Goldenstar Says:

I got my email right away. Like just minutes after purchasing. Check spam folders or junk mail catchers and make sure it didn’t get sucked into there. Other than that, all you can do is check your payment method to see if money was taken and contact GameStop.

25. Tony Says:

One thing — apparently some people are having problems buying this. I’ve heard from a few people that Impulse is giving vague errors on credit card information that is accurately entered. I’m not sure of a way around it — but they look to accept Paypal, so perhaps that’s worth trying.

26. Dino Says:

Nope, didnt get any mail uptil now, and they have taken 5 dollars from my credit card it seems. Sent them 3 mails in the meantime, didnt get any answer. Also I cant login to impulse site, or retrieve my order (says my mail is invalid), nor can I reset my password. And when I try to make new account, it says my mail is already taken (LOL). This is like incredibly unprofessional, first time Ive had any problems with internet shoping, if this doesnt fix, or I dont get any info from them till tomorow, I will never buy anything from them again, and will be sure to spread word about it. Legal pursuit is also an option, cause they have literally stolen money from me.

• Dino Says:

lol, they have now sent me email that they couldnt process my order, but my money is still missing. They even have the nerve to say I should try to place another order with different form of payment. Im really getting incredibly pissed right now.

27. Jeff Says:

Thanks for mentioning this! Just bought it for my son, he’ll be pretty impressed when he sees his new horse!

28. Clinton Says:

Thanks for the tip! After listening to the podcast, I went and purchased the Mithril Edition but I did this right after changing my subscription from the three-month version to the $99.99 per year.

(BTW, SOOOOO happy they’re accepting paypal as a payment method now!!)

I went to upgrade my Turbine account and it kept prompting me to enter a payment as required by the product key. I didn’t want to pay twice! I couldn’t find any help on the forums but then I thought about the podcast again and lo and behold! The tip about using the game card option. Everything’s redeemed now and I’m happy!

Oh, you might want to mention this. If someone is buying the Mithril Edition, they can actually get it for $4.99! When buying the product from GameStop, choose PayPal as your payment option. (If you don’t have a PayPal account, it will take a few days to set it up, IIRC.) When going to pay, if the option is available to sign up for the “Bill Me Later” service from PayPal, they will give you $10 back. Use the “Bill Me Later” payment option on the PayPal site – instead of the normal PayPal Balance option – and the next statement from Bill Me Later will have the $10 credit.

I thought that was neat. Anyway, thanks for the tip!

29. Scott Says:

I just purchased this over the weekend. The quest packs go for ~3500 TP, plus the 2000 TP you get with the purchase, so its like getting ~5500 TP for $15, plus a bonus mount, plus upgrading my free account to a premium accunt. Really a pretty nice deal.

This past week, Gamestop upgraded their download service, and it errored out at the end of my order, plus every time I attempted to log in. Apparently, this has been going on for a number of days with no information on when it will be corrected.

However, those errors don’t matter because all you need is the confirmation email for your purchase, which contains the CD key. Then you just go to myaccount.turbine.com and add that key, which will instantly upgrade your client. Even had my 2000 TP bonus within 5 minutes.

So ignore any errors from Gamestop after purchase as long as you get the confirm email

30. Rinvan Says:

Since others have asked, & I couldn’t find an answer anywhere, I tried to see if you can apply a Mithril Edtion code twice. I had already used the digital code mainly for the free TP & the mount, so when I also bought it in the store to get the discs, I ended up with a second code. You cannot upgrade your account with another code. (I thought maybe the code would just give me another 2K TP)

1. Lord of the Rings Online Mithril Edition 50% Off on Impulse with Hidden Extras – #LotRO « Casual Aggro - May 10, 2012

[...] – A Casual Stroll to Mordor has a write up about this deal as well, and Goldenstar is one of my favorite bloggers, so check [...]

2. Dirt Cheap Games #2 « The Frugal Gamer - May 11, 2012

[...] about LotRO to tell you that this is a good deal, I’ll just direct you to Casual Aggro and A Casual Stroll to Mordor. Those blogs have good posts explaining why the Mithril Edition is a good [...]