Andang’s Update 7 Impressions

May 14, 2012

Opinions

Finally Update 7 is upon us friends and it has many surprises for us along with what has already been mentioned in other articles. Here’s what has made an impression on me from my time spent on Bullroarer.

New Maps

For starters there is 1 new map (Tal Methedras (In Dunland)) and 2 revamped maps (Eriador and Rhovanion).  All three of the maps follow the new style started in Update 6 with The Great River zone.  I currently have all the new maps in a changing desktop background on my computer and I could just look them all day long.  They make it hard to actually play LOTRO because of how well they are done.  I do admit that I love to look at maps anyway but these maps are just beautiful.  I hope they continue to revamp the old maps to have the new design.

You might have also noticed that the places we have not been are faded to clearly show which zones are playable and which ones will come with later updates.  I really like the that they did this because as we continue to get more and more zones it gets harder to remember where we have been.  I also know many new players who tried to go to Mordor because they wanted to throw a ring into the fire and so this new design should help solve both of these problems.

You might have also noticed that the Brown Lands are faded meaning that we will get a full zone dedicated to the Brown Lands.  This is good news for people who have read the books and know just how big the Brown Lands are supposed to be.  Even more exciting is the fact that Wilderland shows up being faded on this map implying that someday we might be able to go to some of the historic locations from The Hobbit.  Another place to note would be the Gladden Fields which include the place where Isildur lost the One Ring.

Some minor problems I have with the maps have to do with the coding on the maps.  I found that the Dol Guldur icon and Mirkwood both take you to the Southern Mirkwood map.  This is a little bit of a problem as it could imply that we will never go to Northern Mirkwood because they consider Southern Mirkwood to be all of Mirkwood according to the map.  Another coding error is that Isenguard in Rhovanion is not selectable and seems only there to help players see that Rohan is close to Isenguard.

Some other quick notes include that Rohan is not listed on the map and instead is represented by Westemnet and Eastemnet, and that there are no faded areas in Eriador implying that we will not get any new zones south of The Shire and Breeland anytime soon.

I also found it odd that the overall map of Middle Earth is still the old style but I am sure they will be changing many of the maps in due time.  If I could make a suggestion on which map to do next it would be the Trollshaws as there is a lot of white space on that map.

Task Icons

Task Icons have been added on to the maps so that now players can find task boards easily across Middle Earth.  They are represented by a yellow feather pen symbol on all of the maps.

Doors in Bree

The doors in Bree (and according to the patch notes Breeland) have been changed to clearly show which doors can’t be opened by the player and which ones can.  Also players can now go into 4 new buildings that give Bree a little feel of Stanguard.

Two of these buildings are the old level 90 blocked doors that were found in the past.  These 2 buildings now have quests linked to them that you have to complete in order to get inside them.  I have not yet found where these quests start and so I have not seen inside these two mysterious buildings.  The other 2 buildings in Breeland are open to anyone and allow you to get an insight on both a poor house and a rich estate owner’s house in Bree.  Interestingly all 4 of the new buildings are in about the same place in Southern Bree.

6th Bag!!!!!!!!!!

If players pre-order Riders of Rohan (RoR) they can get a sixth bag for their account.  I absolutely love this because even if you don’t fill up your bags like me and Goldenstar, you won’t have to go to the vault and venders as often to clear out your bags for another round of playing your character.  I know crafters will really like this new feature because they might be able to quest and craft without having to go to the vault in-between.

Moria Revision- Part 1

Moria is getting quests closer together, getting main paths cleared and getting deeds.  I was really glad when I heard about a Moria revision and then I found out it was just for the first half of Moria.  I actually liked the first half of Moria and didn’t know how I would like this update.

Let me say that clearing the paths and giving us a free goat is the best thing they ever did for Moria.  I no longer have to grind for rep in Thorin’s Hall just to get a goat for Moria; I now can go anywhere and not worry about being dismounted.

I was really worried about them changing the Waterworks as it is one of my top five favorite zones in all of LotRO.  Those worries all went away when I got to the zone and realized it is the same area just with better, faster and more efficient questing.  Moria is still Moria but now it is fun to play even in my least favorite areas of the first part.

I don’t know if just doing the same thing for the later 5 zones of Moria will be enough since, for me, they are much worse but for part one of the revamp it is well worth a look even if you swore to never return.

New Skirmish

Pineleaf and I got together on the test server to try the new skirmish and I think we both agree that it is a lot of fun.  Most of you don’t know it but I am a huge fan of skirmishes.  I have leveled 3 alts just with skirmishes and really can’t get enough of them and any new skirmish is good to me.  It has been a long time since the last skirmish and I am glad they have finally gotten a new one.

One thing I have mixed feelings about though is the fact that the new skirmish takes place in a level 70 area and yet it is available for level 20 up.  I love the fact that level 20-24 players will now have three options for skirmishes.  I don’t however like that they chose this skirmish for new players.  Usually skirmishes stay around the level that they take place in.   For example the Mirkwood skirmishes take place when the player would be in Mirkwood.  I think that taking players to a level 70 area in a skirmish when they are only level 20 could confuse them.  They have no idea what the story is in the skirmish and it could really confuse them and even give away spoilers to plotlines that they will not even be able to start until level 60.  While I love having new skirmishes to do at early levels, please don’t make the new skirmish have spoilers in it for the new players next time Turbine.

While the skirmish is short, it is worth every penny if you have already done the lady in the mountain quest line or you don’t care about spoilers.

Legendary Item Changes

I know I am part of a very small minority but I absolutely LOVE the LI system in LOTRO.  I know there could be some improvements and it could be made easier but especially after they increased relic forging rewards in Update 6 it has been my passion.

I have not yet tried the new Star-Lit Crystals because I have not acquired any of the crystals yet.  I am however really excited about them because they are to make LI’s even more powerful.  They can upgrade tactical ratings, shield ratings or even DPS for your character.  Even better is that they drop from skirmishes which is another of my passions in LOTRO.  I do wish that they would drop from other places so that players did not have to do skirmishes or instances to get the crystals but I am glad they are adding them to the game and I can’t wait to finally get one.

Audacity is Power-full

A big problem after they released Audacity in Update 6 was that players were running out of power from the longer fights.  It made it really hard to kill the other side when you ran out of your precious power.  With update 7 this changes as rank one of Audacity will reduce power costs by 10% and a fully ranked audacity will give players a 20% reduction in power costs.  This makes audacity an even more powerful tool to have in the Moors.  I think that this makes it harder for new players as the game has almost just become a matter of which side has more net Audacity.  Thankfully Audacity costs a lot of Commendations to purchase and so it has not become the win all skill.

I am really glad they are adding power reduction costs to Audacity now that the fights are longer and am looking forward to what they cook up next for the Creeps and Freeps in the Moors.

Final Thoughts

This is really my favorite update to LOTRO since F2P because I really can’t find anything they did wrong with it and it adds so much to the game.  There is a new skirmish, a zone revamp, a new bag, changes to PvP, LI additions, new maps and bug fixes.  I think many players have been waiting for an update that gives new content while improving problems with the current game without messing up anything new and that is this update.

This update has really gotten me excited for Rohan and beyond as Turbine continues to take us through Middle Earth and CSTM will be there the whole way to keep you a very informed citizen of Middle Earth.

Your Thoughts

What do you think about Update 7?

What is your favorite part?

Are you excited about Rohan?

Feel free to answer these questions below and also ask me any questions you have about LOTRO and beyond.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

About Andang

A lifelong Tolkien fan, Andang loves just about anything related to Tolkien. Andang is also a lifelong hardcore gamer with a huge love for any genre of game, as long as it is good. Andang currently writes for A Casual Stroll to Mordor and Middle-Earth Network's Gaming Team. He is also a co-host on Random Fandom, a weekly news podcast here on Middle-Earth Network. You can also find Andang on his YouTube channel and his Facebook page and if all that is not enough he has a twitter as well.

52 Responses to “Andang’s Update 7 Impressions”

1. Avatar of Makhiel
    Makhiel Says:

Concerning the door quest it starts literally a few paces from where you are standing in the screenshot. :) There should be posters hanging around Bree and one of them is on the wooden pillar in front of you. (I think I can even see the sparkles)

As for the Update I’m looking forward to the new skirmish. Had a chance to try it on Bullroarer but that was with a gimped character and I died a lot.

Andang Says:

@Makhiel- I started that quest but never got around to finishing it before the test server went down…now I will be able to do it on the live server and I look forward to see what is inside.
      Also it is hard to play a character that is auto-leveled instead of one that you worked on the whole time.

2. Adhrean Says:

A superb summary of what is coming up in U7 Andang! I am on the same page with you for most of your points above, especially about the new skirmish being a spoiler to new players at level 20. No idea how Turbine approved of that. The maps are looking gorgeous, and I can’t wait to see them in-game. As for Audacity in the moors, as much as I understand how vital it can be, for new players to pvmp, it can be such a horrible grind. IMO, 7.5k Audacity for the Helm is a little much, especially for solo players in the moors who don’t group up or raid. Finally, about these star-lit crystals. I am eagerly waiting to see how much of a difference it can make to my LI’s DPS, and how often it drops in skirms. Again, I see this as a grind because I don’t run skirms all the time. The one thing I am not looking forward to is if Turbine decides to put these crystals up on the Lotro store.

Andang Says:

@Adhrean- I agree that Audacity has a huge grind but it is well worth the improvements. That is why I think they should break up Audacity into two skills and then you have half the grind and get half the rewards because it is just too long to get the next Audacity.
      As for the star-lit crystals I really hope they introduce them into other areas than just skirmishes and instances as it could get become a really bad grind for some players.

3. Andy Says:

Still dont like the new style coloured maps, less detail that a map would actually have and more additions that you’d find on a touristguide map of a city.

Tal meth should have had a map from the release given it’s an area that you’re taken to on at couple of points of the epic. Used to have to open the map and zoom in 2-3 times to get a rough idea of the zone.

Interesting that the extended map doesnt yet mark up places like edoras or helms deep. At least one was a fixed location in the world.

Skirmish might get 70-75 bracket once it’s live and have only been 20-75 for testing. Being where it is and involving the persons it does, it wouldnt make sense for 20′s to be running it. Then again the load screen for it might just be a huge spoiler warning notice.

Andang Says:

@Andy- I agree they should have had a map in Tal Meth but sadly it never made it. The thing that needs icons on the map is Stanguard because it is really hard to find anything in that place and it makes the map useless.

Yeah I thought it was weird that it never shows Rohan or Helms Deep or anything like that.

It is still 20-75 on the live server but I hope it gets changed because it is a huge spoiler and if all else fails I think the loading screen is a great idea.

4. Saelyth Says:

turbine should make the skirmish Free for people that has Isengard… it was too much price to pay for isengard questpack and for the Raid of orthanc also.

5. Brainslug Says:

“If players pre-order Riders of Rohan (RoR) they can get a sixth bag for their account.”

Whoa! Hold your horses … What RoR preorder and where did you read that?

Goldenstar Says:

It’s in the patch notes. No pre-order has been announced yet but they had to address it as Update 7 changes the UI to show the 6th slot so people were bound to ask how to get it.

Andang Says:

@Brainslug- It is also ingame if you hover over the sixth bag it will show you that a pre-order of RoR will get you the bag.

6. scott Says:

They made tier 2 RoF harder??? Wow, somethings get easier and some get impossible. It was hard enough as it was.

Andang Says:

@Scott- I am right there with you…if you need me to sign a pettition I will.

• mmicnova Says:

tier 2 Roots was a pain when it first came out. i was healing for it, and i remember that it took a lot of runs to finally be able to run through it without wipes. especially the spider boss was a huge pain.
        they made it softer afterwards if i remember correctly, felt almost too easy at the end but the true pain was the orc boss (sorry i have a horrible memory with mob names).
        then i tried tanking it a few days back, before the update. it was hell at first boss. we wiped 4 times (partly or entirely my fault as i was not used to tanking) and once at last boss. it took a total of 2 hours to complete, with minor fellowship changes.
        if they made it harder now, i’m not heading back in there without properly gearing up my guard first.

or i could just run tier 1, but where’s the point in that? :D

Andang Says:

@mmicnova- I agree that T1 has very little rewards compaired to T2 and I hope you tank’s shild never splinters, arm never shakes and you feet stay still.

• mmicnova Says:

thanks andang!
          i had to post a reply because last night i tried the new hardened t2.
          it may have been the group, because i played with each of them several instances and i know for a fact that every person there knew what he/she was doing, but it was the first time when we were all in the same group doing roots.
          we had 2 mates running roots for the first time ever, and we explained the basics of the fights. but when we got to the first boss, the adds were a lot meaner than i remembered them to be. i mean, really brutally evil :)
          there were some stumbles, we wiped a few times, once it was my blasted keyboard stuck on a movement key for a few seconds, other times the goblin got away to summon the nasty adds, twice in the same fight i think, other times i honestly don’t know what happened. we had to give it up eventually, not because we couldn’t do it but because it was getting late and we really wanted to show our friends the whole instance. so we regrouped for tier 1.
          up to the big spidey, it felt like a walk in the park. but at the last boss the leader announced that he had to go so we only have one chance, and in the rush we forgot to mention to the new people how to use the roots to remove poison. and so we lost some good dps, got overrun by adds and wiped. it was a bit of a sad night, honestly.
          i’m not sure, but i think the three big spiders before the last boss have had their morale increased. i remembered them at around 70k – but i could be wrong. what i know for sure is that now they have 104k *(except the last room, where the second biggie spawns).

Andang Says:

@mmicnova- I wish your group would have remembered to tell them how to remove poison because you might have done it. Also I don’t remember if the 2 group spiders were each 70k or if each of the individual mini bosses were around 70k but I definately remember 70k being a number in that fight.

• mmicnova Says:

ok, just a final comment here, to give closure to anyone still reading :))
            bested T2 last night with the same group except for 1 hunter. it’s a bit harder than T1, but still doable. i do hear a rumor of a nice bracelet for guardians dropping after first boss in tier 2, so that’s something to check out i guess.
            battles are fun, we did it with guard, cappy, LM, mini and 2 hunters. cheers and good luck!

7. Foxfire Says:

I wouldn’t put too much stock in what the faded and unfaded areas on the maps indicate.

I suspect that we may not see some of those faded areas (even Rhun is there) for a VERY long time, if ever. And areas that are full color are not necessarily complete (e.g. South Fathering, South Downs, Northern Mirkwood, etc…)

I still, however like to hang my hat on the fact that Turbine did say in an interview that they have some very long term plans that can (will?) take us even beyond the destruction of the ring. So I’d say even the far-reaches of Middle-earth are not out of the question to see one day.

Andang Says:

@Foxfire- I know it could be a long time but it is always nice to maybe see into the mind of a map maker but I realize that Mordor is faded and I don’t think we will be going there before lvl 100 at least.

8. Madmickel Says:

So… the new map looks great, but somebody @ turbine gave the german player the map with all names on it in french…. *facepalm*

9. Avatar of oaric
    oaric Says:

Gonna be a long time till I get even R2 in Audacity with my creep. I’m running two-three characters whenever I can just to be able to get comms to buy skills/corruptions for just one of my creeps. The pricing system remains completely out of whack.

Andang Says:

@Oaric- Keep up the good work with your Creeps and you will be rewarded with some very fun times.

Also I agree that Audacity has a huge grind but it is well worth the improvements. That is why I think they should break up Audacity into two skills and then you have half the grind and get half the rewards because it is just too long to get the next Audacity.

oaric Says:

Aye, though I’m a proponent for reducing comm costs for lower ranked skills. While its kinda interesting planning my character a bit (picking/choosing skills/traits as I save up for them), its very disheartening being so absolutely weak… beyond weak, really, at the start. Six corruption slots, only 1 filled.

I mean, back before comms, even having a new creep fully outfitted with skills/traits bought with destiny points you were still playing something very very weak. Now its to the umpteenth degree.

But man creepside is fun, so I’ll keep at it during my downtime… who new collecting hobbit feet would be so satisfying? :)

Andang Says:

@Oaric- I agree with you that comms need some kind of change in their economy. Also collecting hobbit feet is not as much fun for Hobbits. Whatever you do never go Hobbit hunting with your best Hobbit friend…that went badly…

10. Paal Says:

About the Mirkwood Map issue…

I always wondered why they’d make such a mistake. Everybody knows the northern part of Mirkwood belongs to Thranduil and the wood-elves! After the fall of Sauron he even shares the wood with Celeborn, giving the latter the southern part.

I suggested to Turbine to try and tantalize players with some of The Hobbit’s areas, in parallel with the film’s screening. Who knows…

One day into Beleriand… one day to Numenor… ok I’ll keep dreaming

11. Rinvan Says:

I played around a little with the star-lit crystals on Bullroarer. Using my 2nd age rune-stone as an example, DPS went from 126.5 to 146.0 when upgraded with 3 crystals. It seems you get some extra points to put into legacies too, but I am not sure. The increase in power for your weapon/class item seems a bit small to make them worth the 495 TP if you buy them in the store, better to get them from drops in instances.

Andang Says:

@Rinvan- Thanks for the number facts on the crystals. I really don’t think players should buy anything from the store for LI’s because it all can be aquired fairly easily in-game if you have the time and the patience.

12. shipwreck Says:

I’m pretty much obsessed with those new maps.

Andang Says:

@shipwreck- I bet you are and if you ever want to do an Ettenmoors episode for LotRO Beneath Your Feet then I would be glad to join you.

13. Baranwen Says:

Rhun!!!

Andang Says:

@Baranwen- It might take a while…a very very long while but I can say that it is on Turbine’s map lol.

• Baranwen Says:

Lol, yeah, I imagine that will take a long time to set foot on the eastern lands, but Im just glad they plan to include it.

Andang Says:

@Baranwen- I really enjoyed going to the Brown Lands in Update 6 because it introduced people from the Eastern Lands…and it was a hint of the Brown Lands!

• Goreamir Says:

As someone mentioned earlier, I doubt the map is a concrete look into the future of what zones will be added. They have always been very secretive about specifics like that and I doubt they would just put it all out there for us, or even know themselves what they will do that far into the future.
          Concernign the update, I was very disappointed in the drops in Fornost. It’s not really even worth the time except just to go through once to see it. Low numbers of medallions/seals compare to Roots/Foundry, and not even any relics or ixp runes or useful gear.
          Only did the first part so far, so maybe it gets better as you go?

14. Garan Says:

The new maps are quite nice but as I’ve said elsewhere the in-game coordinates for Eregion, Enedwaith and Dunland do not line up with where the artists placed them on the new map. The coordinates lined up with the old map so I’m not sure why they changed the positioning. If you want to see what I mean about the coordinates, just go to Galtrev which is nearly in the middle of Dunland and open the Eriador map – you will see your location is quite a long ways to the east of where Dunland is indicated on the new map. So, while the maps are very pretty, they fail at the one thing a map is supposed to do, showing you your location and the location of places you want to go – of course, the new maps may be more correct with Tolkein’s view of the world, I haven’t spent any time checking into that, but if that’s the case then Turbine has a lot of coordinate fixing to do to make their in-game locations line up with the world map (in my opinion they should have left the locations as they were).

Which brings me to another coordinate issue. A lot of people keep speculating on Northern Mirkwood as a playable area. I can tell you that unless Turbine does some major revamping of some of their instanced “Moria” locations you will never see Northern Mirkwood – why? Because places like Zirak Zigil and The Grand Stair use the map coordinates of locations in Northern Mirkwood. Instead of using a z-coordinate to prevent overlapping in Moria, they actually used the coordinates of the surface of Northern Mirkwood. So, unless they want to fix all of the coordinates of about 2 dozen instanced areas, they do not intend to actually allow players into Northern Mirkwood.

Andang Says:

@Garan- Thanks for mentioning the cordinates as they are very far off and I didn’t even know that about Northern Mirkwood.

Also the new maps match the maps from Return of the King much better than the previous maps. Also the new maps are full of color and have no white space which I like. I hope Turbine finds a way to fix our locations so that everything works out nicely.

15. Wodholm Says:

Andang, thanks for the details. Just wanted to comment about the Moria changes. The “lighting” changes are really very minor, but it seems as if they nerfed down the zones so much that apart from running solo a few levels below the zone, there’s no challenge in it any more. I used to enjoy running through Durin’s Way. If Turbine continues to reduce the content to where we are just running from hub to hub simply to get to the level cap, I’ll be moving on to other things…sad to say, because i really like LOTRO otherwise.

Andang Says:

@Wodholm- I agree with you that LotRO lost a lot of its dificulty and so that is why I like PvP, raiding, and T3 skirmishes because they are really the only things in LotRO that still give me a hard time. I know that solo PvE content is really easy and I hope they put eletes and hard bosses back into the new zones they create as they were mostly gone from RoI.

16. Thorcar Says:

I ran the new skrim in raid last night and it wasn’t very difficult except for the gate bug. With almost all of the mobs being huge, you really need to pay attention to the LT announcements. On one counterattack, we killed all the mobs and surprise, there is a tiny shepherd of filth hiding in the mess.

17. Watson Says:

I really wish they would fill in the rest of Eriador … and especially put in Tharbad!!

Andang Says:

@Watson- I would love to see Tharbad and I know I am not alone when I say that but I don’t think it will happen anytime soon because of the shear amount of content they still have left in books 2 and 3 of The Lord of the Rings. I think however that this is not really known among most people who play LotRO.

18. Tinnuwidh Says:

I think it’s a sad developement going on in LOTRO, if you are mostly solo-playing and not very interested in PvP or raiding there is no challenge in the gameplay left at all. I have never had any problems playing Moria and after the rewamp there are no mobs left, you can just run from place to place without fighting one mob. I really used to love LOTRO but I think I’ve reached the end of it.

Andang Says:

I agree that the dificutly for solo play is too low. They are taking out all of the eletes and replacing them with normal enemies…what is the fun in that? While I do like to be able to travel while mounted in Moria, after going into some of the other places off the main path I agree that they have made Moria too easy.

19. hoolygen Says:

I just wish they would fix all the bugs and lag issues before releasing more “updates” I enter moria on my hunter for the first time since the update and there was no moria music and the ambient sounds were birds chirping and the wind blowing through the trees! Wow, really? Very disapointed!

Andang Says:

@hoolygen- I agree they should fix bugs but just realize that bug has been there since the launch of Moria because the first time any of my characters had been there they had that glitch but it is a really, really rare one because I have not had it since then.

20. PB Says:

Appreciate the enthusiasm Andang, but after a week of playing with it I totally disagree with this statement “This is really my favorite update to LOTRO since F2P because I really can’t find anything they did wrong with it and it adds so much to the game”

Compare this update with Update 3, In Your Absence, which had:

- Epic Book (and a good one)
    - 2x 3-person and 2×6 person instances which were not only awesomely fun but had the best loot in the game and earned good amounts of raid gear currency
    - 1×12 person raid, what is possibly the best raid in the game too
    - Legendary item system overhaul – no matter how bad you think the system is now, before legacy scrolls it was infinitely worse
    - Extra map skills and hurried traveller store features

THAT was an update, and one which had content that I was playing right up until RoI was released. I’m already struggling to find groups to do the Fornost instances due to the massive fail on the loot side of things, and apart from that there’s nothing much to do in this update.

Andang Says:

@PB- I agree with you that update 3 was a good end game update but it did nothing really for anyone else. I have a few characters at cap and love endgame content but at the same time Turbine has kept moving forward. Update 7 is different; it has something for nearly everyone at all levels. Also note that Fornost has really good loot for players leveling right now.

It added:
      -new quests in Bree (which always felt empty from quests to me)
      -The ability for more inventory space (AFTER 5 YEARS!)
      -Allowing you to travel on a mount through Moria (cleared major paths)
      -New Skirmish for lvl 20-75 (finally a 3rd skirmish for lvl 20s)
      -LI stat buffs to improve your character even more
      -Giving power to long fights in PvP

Update 3 is for capped players but Update 7 is for all players; they are both great but it really just comes down to how much you endgame vs how many times you play through the game.

I am Andang and I am an Altiholic

1. Update 7 Release Notes | Casual Stroll to Mordor - May 14, 2012

[...] Andang’s Update 7 Impressions [...]

2. Lord of the Rings Online releases Update 7: Shades of the Past | Game Ninja - May 14, 2012

[...] always, it’s worth combing through the notes for the smaller changes. Some of these include new and updated maps, friendlier Elves in Lothlorien who won’t shoot you on sight, and Audacity lowering power [...]

3. Lord of the Rings Online releases Update 7: Shades of the Past | Be The Gamer - May 14, 2012

[...] As always, it's worth combing through the notes for the smaller changes. Some of these include new and updated maps, friendlier Elves in Lothlorien who won't shoot you on sight, and Audacity lowering power costs in [...]