In what appears to be the first of two updates concerning Moria, Lauren “Budgeford” Salk has released a Developer Diary concerning the changes that will be coming to the area in Update 7. As someone who has a number of alts that are ready to travel through this cavernous region I for one am thrilled that a revamp to the area is coming. And while Budgeford assures us that the things that make Moria “…a beautiful, unique, amazing space” will not be changing, they did have a lot of player feedback that encouraged them to re-evaluate the area.
To boil it down, we learned through player feedback (and from our own in-game experiences) that leveling in Moria is just too challenging, despite the initial awe and the beauty of this space. This is something we’ve wanted to address for a long time on the Content team. Moria stands in the way of a new character reaching our end-game content, and we want the 1-75 experience to go smoothly for new people as the game gets bigger.
She also stresses that this will also be the “first half” of the overall changes coming to Moria. This part includes only the following areas:
- The Great Delving
- The Silvertine Lodes
- Durin’s Way & Zirakzigil
- The Waterworks
- Tasks (Now Moria has them!)
- Big quest arcs (Namely, the Riddles and Mirrors lines.)
So what all changed? Well, frankly it seems the team really went through and made some really good adjustments such as:
- making sure each area offers enough quests
- adjusting the quest flow
- adding quests and quest hubs as necessary to assist with leveling
- adjusting the lighting so players could see more easily (thank you, thank you)
- making it easier to travel from hub to hub (apparently by adjusting the mobs along those paths and adding travel points)
- improving quest rewards
I have to say I’m impressed with what all appears to have done and I think that I’m going to enjoy bringing my alts through the area. What changes are you excited about?