Justin “Syp” Olivetti admits that once Riders of Rohan was announced with mounted combat that the expansion’s success was going to heavily depend on how good mounted combat turned out. And I can’t fault him for thinking this. It seemed that every press announcement or interview that we were seeing being posted about Riders of Rohan focused heavily on the upcoming system and how much work had gone into it. But as gamers we know that even though a company talks a feature up before its release doesn’t necessarily mean that it will meet player expectations. However, after a recent hands-on, Justin feels that we can rest assured in that Turbine has once again built an amazing product.
I think I can breathe easier now that I’ve had a chance to spend an hour fiddling with mounted combat while talking to Senior Producer Aaron Campbell. What I saw was an alpha build of the expansion (the beta is scheduled to start soon, perhaps as soon as next week), but once I got used to careening over the plains at 88 miles per hour, it felt just right.
It felt like LotRO.
So what are some of the features that Justin was able to get out of Aaron Campbell during his hands-on? Well, I don’t want to spoil the article too much, but I’ll drop a couple of teasers that will hopefully encourage you to go and read the full article over at Massively.
- A new Legendary Item type will be introduced specifically for Mounted Combat (I kid you not).
- Mounted Combat will have its own User Interface where you see your mount’s stats, extensively adjust their appearance, and manage their traits.
- Mounts have five different speeds so that players can adjust how fast their mount is going.
- You will attack using your normal weapons, but the skills you use will be specific to mounted combat.
- Warbands will be roving over the entire map, “…which means you may find one when you least expect it.”
I want to thank Justin for this amazing article, which has brought us a ton of new information that frankly has me quite a bit more interested in mounted combat and how it will play into my game once Riders of Rohan comes out. What about you? Will you be with me riding on the plains come September?