Bullroarer: Update 10 Release Notes

January 30, 2013

LOTRO News

The release notes for Update 10 have been posted for the Bullroarer server. There are some pretty significant changes coming with this update! Just a reminder though, this is the public test server. Items in this list are not on the live servers and are subject to change.

Some brief highlights:

• Changes to critical defence and rating all over the place.
  • Big changes to fate and will stats.
  • Changes to Wardens primary stat from might to agility
  • Champions receive 6 parry from might (no blocking)
  • New instance cluster is released
  • In Their Absence chain will be scaled.
  • Toggle setting to turn on/off forced emotes
  • Dread on defeat removed from landscape
  • Whole list of older instances will now use the remote looting mechanic
  • Standardizing names of relic tiers.
  • Cooks can now use ovens as well as campfires for trail food

And this is just a little bit of what is currently on the test server!

Read the entire release notes:

, , , , , , ,

49 Responses to “Bullroarer: Update 10 Release Notes”

1. Avatar of andyb
    andyb Says:

I wonder if the fate change will mean a resurgence in stuff with fate actually on it. Compared to RoI 75 gear it’s somewhat lacking.

Ovens for making trail food is about time, player made campfires never lasted long enough for batch cooking and usable campfires werent always conveniently placed near to a supplier.

Predicting that this years weatherstock will suffer less grief as a result of the emote change.

2. Bryandt Says:

Dread from defeat was removed altogether. Apparently, dread only happens if a mob radiates it. I logged onto Bullroarer and my minstrel’s remove dread skill was gone. I’m not sure I’m liking that. At all.

Goldenstar Says:

oh how very interesting. I had suspected it to remain for instances.

• Bryandt Says:

Nope. I tried to solo a level 20 version of the Fires of Smaug raid. Interesting mechanics there, but even set to that level I did die. There was no defeat dread.

• Joshua Says:

I think they originally hinted that it would be removed only on the landscape. I guess they changed their mind and expanded it everywhere.

Smart move, in my opinion. All it really accomplished in instances was adding a slight delay for the healer to clear dread before starting the next attempt. It added a hassle but no real gameplay.

• Caiyyd Says:

Was it replaced by anything or did we just lose a skill?

• Stephan Says:

Guess, we Runekeepers will also loose our dread removal skill.
      Have not checked, yet.

3. Goreamir Says:

They might as well remove the “forced emotes” from the game, since everyone will be opting out. I find them somewhat annoying, but I never fell into the stretches of logic that permeate the forums over them. How seriously do thee take thy blob of pixels? Will players still get credit towards the deed when using them on opted out players?

• Bryandt Says:

The gist of what I read on the Bullroarer board from Sapience was that it’s safer to ask someone before using an emote on them. I’m guessing that means using an emote on a player who has opted out will result in no advancement of the deed.

• Mave Says:

Someone on the forums suggested that emote items should only be usable if forced emotes are enabled. That’s an excellent suggestion that would give people a continued incentive to allow forced emotes. As it is now, I think we’re going to see most people disabling them.

• Jennifer Says:

I don’t understand what the big deal is about forced emotes tbh. Although I remember a guy I played WoW with that would rage if someone threw one of the halloween pumpkins on his head.

• Joshua Says:

Yeah, I’m not going to bother disabling forced emotes on my characters. I don’t find them that annoying.

Of course, I don’t frequently play concerts or whatever, and I’ve never been interrupted any of the times I have, because they’ve usually been impromptu waiting-for-the-next-run deals.

andyb Says:

When I played wow and main tanked raids I would quite often throw a bat costume onto my healer just before a pull.

That said by that point we did kind of know how each other minds worked, most of the time and watched out for oddities like dumping the trainset on an unscheduled afk player.

Goldenstar Says:

The largest problem with the forced emotes is for example a concert where a band is synced up and playing and the forced emote interrupts (perhaps even stops) the music.

It’s even worse in large player events such as weatherstock where the forced emote just creates horrendous lag in addition to messing up the music.

Interrupting people’s play is not cool and doing it on purpose is what I call griefing. Toggling it off will likely be done by serious role-players and then a smattering of people who find it annoying. I for one do not plan on taking it off excepting in special circumstances such as going to a player event.

• Jennifer Says:

Oh okay that makes perfect sense. Thank you for explaining. =) I can understand why people who do these types of things would want to turn off forced emotes.

4. Avatar of Ethelros
    Ethelros Says:

Hard to judge the stat changes at the moment, I’m not sure what will come of them. Shame the feedback thread has essentially become a contest between Burgs and Hunters over who can whine the loudest.

5. Jim Says:

My initial look…well, educated guess really…at the will changes gave me +4800 tact mit and -4000 or so power…Anyone gone on Bullroarer who can report what their numbers look like?

It’s the weirdest mix of super nerf and op buff I’ve seen…would love to hear how much icpr 400 fate gets you these days on Bullroarer as well.

Perhaps this is how Turbine wants to cap tact mast? I sure hope I won’t need 1000 fate to stay powered up…

• Gentoo Says:

A friend that’s on BR atm says she logged into her 75 mini that had old gear, 466 fate.. and her icpr was over 3200… so for an 85 with good gear, probably higher fate. That’s pretty good?

• Bryandt Says:

When I logged in to Bullroarer, my level 77 Minstrel was in full Draigoch gear. Which still didn’t have any Fate on it. I can see this becoming a problem.

• Mave Says:

My level 76 character on BR has 506 fate and an ICPR of 3,303. With only 95 will, his power more than doubled to 4,879. I did some testing out to see how insane that was, and basically it’s impossible for him to run out of power now, as far as I can tell. LOL

• Bryandt Says:

Did you trait virtues for that? My minstrel has just under 400 power and ran out of half of his bar in what seemed like seconds.

• Bryandt Says:

Er, make that 400 Fate. :S

• Jim Says:

Brandt, how much of a power hit did you take? And were power costs adjusted downward to compensate?

• Bryandt Says:

I didn’t notice a hit in power (I may have to log in again and take a closer look). Just a hit in power regen. It’s unusual for me to get down that low. Usually, my Minstrel uses about a quarter of his power pool (sometimes a little more, not often), and uses Anthem of Compassion to help keep power going. That didn’t seem to help this time around. Granted, I was doing a level 20 raid, so it wasn’t exactly normal circumstances. Still, I was feeling the pinch.

6. Bryandt Says:

On another note, it seems they did do some work on the new intro. It has changed a bit from the one posted in Update 9. It’s smoother now, some of the camera angles has changed, and Galadriel now has a voiceover for scenes that she appears in. It still doesn’t feel quite ready for Primetime, but it’s better than it was.

7. Aeronwy Says:

“The Seer’s Orb has been changed from the Small Furniture category to the Thin Furniture category.”

This might be a really dumb thing to get annoyed over, but I am. Mostly because mine looks great where it is. I wish they’d fix the wonky Hytbold furniture (like restoring the large antler chandelier to its former level of gigantic glory) instead of changing furniture from ages ago. We shall see what happens with housing in the future I suppose.

• erunineriol Says:

They should change the orthanc furniture from giants challenge ;-)) Still bugged, that you could not reach the second floor of your kindhouse :)

8. Lazlo Says:

So with forced emotes…

Now, instead of 30 page threads on the forums with 10 people screaming against forced emotes, we’ll have 30 page threads on the forums with 50 people screaming about how they can’t finish the deed because somebody lied about having the option enabled, and now they’ve completely wasted the tokens that bought those consumables even tho they spent real money to buy quest resets to get those tokens.

I don’t understand why turbine finds it impossible to ever come up with a win/win solution.

• balmrog Says:

so far as I have understood the notes, you cannot lie since you will see “Immune” appear on the screen:

[quote]Players who have disabled involuntary emotes are treated as immune to these effects. If you attempt to force such a player to execute an involuntary emote, you will see “Immune” appear briefly above them. Affected players will also see the “Immune” text when they resist an involuntary emote effect.[/quote]

• Joshua Says:

I think the comment about lying was about this scenario:

“Anybody want to help me advance my forced emote deed?”
        “Yeah, sure.”
        *uses emote* “WTF, IMMUNE?”
        “HAHA LOL SUCK IT NOOB.”

• Crell of Riddermark, Vanguard Says:

Its entirely possible you can advance the deed on immune players.

andyb Says:

The deeds progress if used on a mounted player who is, sort of, immune to them so no reason it would alter that much.

Some enterprising player might roll a couple of alts called tyler, bob etc and form an underground movement for disillusioned emoters.

The first rule of emote club is you dont talk about emote club

• Jennifer Says:

Hopefully they will make it so the token won’t be consumed if they are immune.

• Lazlo Says:

Sapience replied to that question with “ask first and there won’t be problems”. Which heavily implies the item will be consumed and the deed won’t advance.

• susan Says:

whatever, if my immunity makes a forced emoter rage against the system being unfair then its all good in my mind. not even close to making up for years of this crap

9. Avatar of Andang
    Andang Says:

“Freep Battlefield Promotions
    Freeps now gain a Battlefield Promotion effect for each PvMP Rank they earn.
    Battlefield Promotions grant bonus Health, Power and Damage for each Glory
    Rank the player has.
    Battlefield Promotions are only active while in the Ettenmoors.”

Assuming this keeps things balanced I am glad the Freeps are finally getting more reasons to rank up…Anytime you intelligently add depth to a game it is a good thing and should attract more people to the Ettenmoors…

10. Baranwen Says:

“Cooks can now use ovens as well as campfires for trail food”

Nice, finally!!

lots of good things going on with this update

12. Smugglin Says:

Could someone who is on BR please post what Power is capped at now. I’m starting to be nervous for my LM. I feel as though I heading back into the power battery role /sigh. Anyone out there play WOW when Mists went live. Same exact move. Power was capped and regen became king. It was really rough at first but gear eventually made it obsolete. It seems like this single change is gonna be one of the biggest things to hit LOTRO and will affect everyones gameplay. Kinda weird the discussion hovers around forced emotes, a thing that will be a non issue with the update.

• Vraethir Says:

Base Power for a level 85 caster class is 5525, non casters have 4250. You can then increase it using jewelry, armour, food and li relics. All skills now use a fixed % of your BASE POWER. That is lets say you have 100 Base Power, a skill costs 5% it would cost 5 power. If you have 100 Base Power but had items that boosted you up to 200 Max Power the skill that costs 5% would still only cost you 5 power because its going off your Base Power!

Now couple this with ICPR. The current equations for this from Fate for a CASTER is Fate*5.51266666. If you have 400+ Fate you will have over 2205 ICPR.

• Smugglin Says:

Thank you very much. I misunderstood them. i thought we had a flap out cap on the max amount of power we could have . Interesting. Thats something to think about for sure.

13. Gaspard Lalune Says:

If you play on a Mac you are out of luck as there is currently no Mac beta client for Bullroarer Update 10 testing. Same situation for Update 9 when issues went unresolved because of this.