Helms Deep LOTRO’s Fifth Expansion Announced

April 24, 2013

LOTRO News

LOTRO Helm's Deep logo

Turbine has announced today their fifth expansion Helm’s Deep!

So what’s coming in the next expansion?  According to the press release we can expect the following:

• Players will be participating in the battle for Helm’s Deep

Fight to defend Helm’s Deep starting at level 10, as your character enlists as a soldier in the Battle of the Hornburg, the most massive conflict yet in The Lord of the Rings Online.  Earn rewards for your contribution to the war effort – win or lose, your aid makes a difference!

• The level cap will be raised to 95
    • New skills
    • Updated class specializations
    • Mounted combat will be available in the new regions
  • The Westemnet of Rohan (Western Rohan) landscape will be opened up.  The following areas are specifically mentioned:
    • the capital of Edoras
    • Dunharrow
    • the fortress of Hornburg
    • Helm’s Deep
  • The epic story will continue to restore King Théoden to “his rightful lordship”.
  • It’s scheduled for release in “Fall 2013”

Please understand that all this is taken directly from the press release and at this time we don’t have any information other than this.  However I’m pretty excited.  I wasn’t sure if there would be an expansion this year and I’ve enjoyed my time in Rohan so far.  I can’t wait to see what the Battle of Helm’s Deep will be like!

Original Version
PDF Version

, , , ,

About Merric

Co-founder of CSTM and an avid LOTRO fan.

69 Responses to “Helms Deep LOTRO’s Fifth Expansion Announced”

1. Lorgelas Says:

They need to his this one out of the park. Please don’t screw up the epic helms deep battle!

2. Bryandt Says:

What does “updated class specializations” mean? They messing around with the trait lines for classes again?

Merric Says:

They’ve been talking about class revamps for a couple of months now. My hope would be that they revamp the entire system to make it more like mounted combat, but that might be hoping for too much. :)

• Cyraith Says:

Merric, from what I have read, they are changing Freep class traits to work like the mounted combat trait tree system.

I’m personally against it, but from everything I’ve seen, that’s the direction they’re forcing us to go.

• Bryandt Says:

That would actually work for me, as long as I had slots to save at least two builds without having to visit the bard every time I want/need to switch.

3. Avatar of Andang
    Andang Says:

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    It should be Helms of Deep!
    How can Turbine employees sleep at night knowing the pattern has been broken?
    This could mean the end of the world as we know it.

I am really excited for this expansion and hope it lives up to expectations.
    Also LOTRO HD sounds better than LOTRO HoD as far as abbreviations go.

4. iii Says:

isn’t that the reworking of all classes?

5. Lorgelas Says:

Do we really need to see those hairy hobbits feet in HD?

6. Elrohir Says:

New content settings are awesome, hope they meet the expectatives.
    I like that they allow 10 level players to participate in part of the content. That is much better solution than giving out increasingly large XPboosts to rush people through classic areas.
    Lvl 95 and class revamp seems a little scary to me. I know they need new level-ranges for the new content and class system can always be improved; but a drastic change in the in-game experience could be anoying to some, just as lag in mounted combat annoyed some people at first.
    All in all, this is the expansion I am looking forward the most. I just LOVE Eorlings epic battles “Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this?”

• Douglas Says:

Allowing level 10s to participate means more profit, if you guys think Helms Deep is going to be all awesome, well look at Turbines track record, I guarantee its going to be heavily monetized, and more in your face ads…

7. Damper Says:

let’s just hope it won’t be another 60 bucks…

• Duinathel Says:

Prepare for disappointment. This will undoubtedly follow the pattern: 3 tiers of purchase package (bare bones, F2P zones included, or shiny cloak and war horse cosmetics) at $40/$60/$80. Initially, the outrage will prevent people from purchasing. Turbine will panic and add points and whosits/whatsits to calm nerves and open wallets. Many will then be purchased and all will be well.

So has it been. So shall it always be.

8. Thorgrum Says:

Very important release for them I hope for their sake they can avoid the mis information and confusion that occurred with ROI and RoR. There dosent look like anything different here other then the setting. Another 10 levels, new LI’s, new relics basically a new grind. The highlight (or low light) might be the class revamps but that could be a double edged sword. Some people have invested 6 years into chars and major reworks that require people to change thier game play could be dicey.

I wish them luck and hope its a win for fans and for the business. Color me cautious at this point.

9. Gliredhel Says:

You had me at “Helm’s”

10. Eoleof Says:

When I heard about this, I like out a squee that could be heard in Boston. And I’m in Pittsburgh.

I’m wondering about the Battle of the Hornburg mechanics. They say level 10s will be taking part. Part of me wonders whether that means we will be rolling Rohirric alts to take part in the battle, since our characters weren’t there. Well, those of you whose characters aren’t Riders of the Hornburg who ended up in the North weren’t there. Mine has an excuse for being there. ^_^

11. Bretela Says:

I see no mention of instances other then the Helms Deep battle, oh yeah another scaled nightmare.

12. Valorum Says:

Level 95? Yikes! My poor champ has been stuck in the low 80s while I play other games, and the thought coming back for that many more levels is too daunting.

• Cyraith Says:

Sadly they have to continually increase the level cap because their business model depends on it! Every new tier means new, increasingly expensive, store-related items. At this point, Turbine *can’t* not increase the level cap w/o its revenue suffering (that’s my prediction anyway).

• Goreamir Says:

It’s just how MMOs and RPGs in general work, and have always worked. It would get pretty stale languishing at the same level forever, you need something to keep you motivated.

13. Douglas Says:

I havnt played LOTRO for 2 months, i log in to pay my upkeep on my houses, and try out Mounted Combat to see if its working better yet, After the release of RoR I feel ripped off. Turbine Hyped up RoR and Stuck Mounted Combat in our face! I got excited a paid 70$ and another 15 for VIP when it released… and for what!? Broken Mounted Combat (I know not everyone experiences this, but alot of us do!) Now you say.. Im getting all upset over one feature, IM upset beacuse im not getting any help from Turbine to try to minimize lag, and rubberbanding, IN FACT! im getting a cold shoulder.. I put in a support ticket over two months ago, and still no response! I WANT TO PLAY! BUT everytime i log in, I get this feeling that im supporting a company that lied to me, that cheated me.. and i just cant stomach it anymore. Turbine needs to step up and fix this if they want anymore $$ from me.. Im hoping with the mention of mounted combat in the new (Too Soon!) Expansion (that sounds like an update) they revamp the mounted combat system so it works well.. But i have lost all faith in Turbine.. im done Pre-ordering, and im done giving them my money, until i see some fixes..

Andang Says:

I agree with most of your points except that this is just the announcement and we really know nothing about the expansion yet…heck we don’t even know anything about the zone that will be on Bullroarer this week. That being said they are not asking for money yet and so not knowing much is more than ok. I am holding a judgement on the expansion till I know facts as apposed to speculation…and right now the only real fact is that it is coming, it will have helm’s deep, it will allow us to go to 95 and that is about it. Everything else right now is just speculation though and so I don’t think it is time to get upset about the new stuff yet when we don’t know anything about it especially since this is just the press release and not info from the devs.

That being said the old stuff is very much fair game as they really do need to fix that stuff to gain customer support.

So I am on your side but I just think that it is too early to bash something we don’t really know anything about.

• Cyraith Says:

I’d agree, except from the last two expansions – which have been overpriced, especially for VIPs who are paying doubly – they’ve released ROI and ROR with a tremendous number of bugs and most have yet to be fixed.

That being said, while I’m keen to see what HDE offers, I can only sorrowfully predict HDE will release the same way. IMO, Turbine’s pushing too much content too fast at the expense of the rest of the game. New cap content is great, don’t get me wrong, but they’re disproportionately favoring cap players over refining the new user experience to bring new players in. Of course we don’t know their revenue numbers, so maybe targeting capped players is their income base…but that doesn’t excuse zero-day launch bugs and chronic flaws in older code.

• Douglas Says:

Im not necessarily complaining about new stuff, YET! I agree with you, but im looking at Turbines track record.. since ROI, the attention to detail when it comes to the game has diminished.. once the content is consumed they dont seem to care about it anymore.. Im sorry but i want to play alts, Iam not trying to raid or run dungeons in a game that makes raiding/dungeoneering a massive grind, to where we cant even complete our RoR gear set.. before the new HD expansion comes out. wich is coming out too soon if you ask me.. anyways.. IM AM HOPING! for a revamped mounted combat soon.. i would really like to be able to play what i paid for.. but until i can, no more $$ for Turbine… just aint happenin.

• RoyalBob of DD Says:

You didn’t have to pay for “Broken Mounted Combat”. Mounted combat is free, broken or not.

14. Cyraith Says:

Considering this will be another paid expansion – for VIP and F2P alike – I’m glad I dropped my subscription. With the money saved, I can actually afford the basic version instead of double-paying for it.

15. Rorgg Says:

Flailing about over whether instances will be included to begin in 3…2…1…

• Bryandt Says:

“The expansion will not include dungeons. Dungeons will be added some time after the expansion has been released. Pricing for the new dungeon cluster will be discussed at a later date.”

• Douglas Says:

Agreed, this is the way they have done for the past few expansions, and it seems they will be sticking to it… i see no issues with dungeons being released later, you have 10 levels to grind through, they dont want you blasting through teh content at high speed.. just to get bored in two months

• eboe Says:

They had better not charge for the dungeons separately, that should be included in the ex-pac, based upon historical trends.

16. Berethron Says:

Why, why, WHY??? Why do we need an expac every 12 months? Stop churning content out the door before its ready to release.

“Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.” Ok, I’ll pick my two: good and cheap. Riders of Rohan was neither of those things. Push back the release another 6 months and allow us to purchase the expac for 40-50 bucks AND actually enjoy it.

• Duinathel Says:

I’d settle for good and fast. The problem that you’re pointing out, I think, is the fear that we’re getting fast and cheap.

17. pickles Says:

Gandalf’s beard! Shut up and take my money!

18. davidt Says:

“Fight to defend Helm’s Deep starting at level 10, as your character enlists as a soldier in the Battle of the Hornburg…”

An alt starting at L10 which you level up(grind) to eventually participate in a new instance to be released(purchased) later.

The HD version of the Hytbold rebuild.

/speculation

19. mephet Says:

Yay! Sounds awesome, can’t wait to hear more! :) I wonder when this will be released – autumn, maybe?

20. Goreamir Says:

I was actually hoping to hear an announcement with details about Wildermore before this, hopefully we’ll find out something about that soon.

21. TowerDragon Says:

I’m kinda disappointed in the name just Helms Deep how about Lord of the Rings Online the Battle for Helms Deep or the Battle of Helms Deep. Certainly looking forward to this expansion though I really hope that Turbine can knock this one out of the park oh and focus on releasing the instances with the expansion this time around (wishful thinking I know)

22. TowerDragon Says:

I’m kinda disappointed in the name just Helms Deep how about Lord of the Rings Online the Battle for Helms Deep or the Battle of Helms Deep. Certainly looking forward to this expansion though I really hope that Turbine can knock this one out of the park oh and focus on releasing the instances with the expansion this time around.

23. TowerDragon Says:

I’m kinda disappointed in the name just Helms Deep how about Lord of the Rings Online the Battle for Helms Deep or the Battle of Helms Deep. Certainly looking forward to this expansion though I really hope that Turbine can knock this one out of the park, oh and focus on releasing the instances with the expansion this time around.

24. Braag of Vilya Says:

My prediction for 2013? The instance cluster (whenever it arrives) MUST contain a raid in The ‘Glittering Caves” behind the Fortress of the Hornburg. Of the many much anticipated areas to be included in the release, this is one of the ones I am most excited to see. I really hope they don’t forget about or SKIMP on delivering how awesome these could be. If Gimli and Legolas Promised to go back and explore them after the Ware of the Ring, can we do no less!

Cheers,
    Braag of Vilya,

P.S. – No mention of the Paths of the Dead. MIGHT make the perfect free (to subscribers) landscape expansion in 2014 following their pattern with Enedwaith, Great River and Update 11 coming soon.

• Goreamir Says:

I think the next free landscape after West Rohan will probably be the area south of Eastemnet, between Edoras and Minas Tirith along the mountains. I hope they do implement the paths of the dead in some way, but I can’t see it being an entire landscape region.

I agree with the raising of the level cap in each expansion, but I wish they would just do it five levels at a time instead of ten, just slow down the exp. We’re going to be level 140 by the time it’s over at this rate.

25. FoxFire Says:

Woo Hoo!

Can’t wait.

If I don’t get dragged into ESO. :-P

26. Queekusme Says:

One thing with ROR I hated was the fact that after the east wall, all of the quests were the same effectively because they were pretty much set in the plains of Rohan and there’s not much scope there… just hope the quests will be more varied and can’t wait for more info on Helm’s Deep Instance/Battle

27. Rabbitses Starkfoot Says:

Very excited.

28. Avatar of JohnGee
    JohnGee Says:

Another step closer to Mordor!! Yes! Lev Cap 95! Yes!! The Battle for Helms Deep YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

29. Avatar of andyb
    andyb Says:

As much as I look forward to seeing helms deep in game I’m finding it hard to be enthused about it.

Although I think that is more down to the massively drawn out release of rohan and how they mis-handled the prepurchases for that.

I’m probably going to hold off until the first sale of it unless they actually do something about getting the core game running properly. Rohan could be indcredibly laggy and rubberbandy so if that’s not sorted I cant see myself wanting to endure another 10 levels worth even with a very enticing carrot at the end.

so glad I got off the grind for epic gear since it seems like it will all be obsolete again. lesson learned the last level increase, feel sorry for all that have been grinding like monkeys this past month or two.

will be interesting to see how it will be packaged as the industry looks to LoTR for trends and after the last few lackluster expansions and their mistakes this will be the most important expansion package for the game as far as longevity will go.

31. Thimbur Says:

Will we get to toss a dwarf?

32. Avatar of andyb
    andyb Says:

Thought some more and in theory now that mounted combat is in the live game they wont have to focus so much on that side of things.

So maybe some of the dev time will be able to be used to fix, mend and/or apply duct tape to the wobbly bits that there currently are in game that are only barely working a lot of the time.

I’d like to see them try more investigation type quests but not if it’s the basic finger pointing that happens after a chat to each party. OK that resolves itself once you complete the hytbold grind but that could have been so much more.

33. Alex Says:

They need to introduce x-server for Ettenmoors and Instances.

34. mmicnova Says:

a brief history of me playing lotro

i started back when the lvl cap was 65. after the first few lvls alone i found some people that were also new and so we set out to lvl together, doing quests and exploring. at lvl 48-50 we entered the dreaded moria. this was before any revamp. memories of lovely eriador were all we had left, as we powered through the dark pits for about a month. if i hadn’t had my friends, i would have stayed at lvl 50 forever. when i got to lothlorien i couldn’t quest there, i never did, all i remember was i had killed a LOT of baddies in moria and the elves had me picking flowers. no thank you! (to this day, rep with lothlorien is the only one i need, because i only get it from running DN raid). then off to mirkwood, and enedwaith. by the time i was done with enedwaith i only had about 1 month to wait until ROI came out. got it done in 10 days. now what? virtues grind. day in – day out. new raids – not enough friends for those. gear not good enough for joining others in raids. joined a raiding kin, grinded those instances. limlight stuff came out, grind for rep with 2 factions, grind the spiders and huorns, hello shiny equipment, i almost have my gear maxed out. then ROR came out. 10 days to lvl cap, hello hytbold the worst grind i have ever met. hello fast and sturdy war steed, too bad i can’t control you. at this point i had to take a leave of absence for about 3 months, recently coming back.
    hello first age symbol, hello good old bugs that never got fixed. hello sambrog grind for seals, only 122 runs needed for a first ager. thankfully i’ve done the raids. so now i have 5 dailies for hytbold (why?) and then sambrog all afternoon (again, why?). the amount of great content in this game is tremendous, but sadly it stopped after lvl 50. the budget problems are easy to spot, the slow decline, the unsatisfied customers and the ever-silent customer support. i have pumped well over 500$ into this game, which would have been more than enough to buy VIP status right at the start. however, i am not VIP and do not have access in the moors. that really doesn’t seem fair, does it? it may be just as well, as i hear that PvMP is a constant source of frustration for all the pvp-oriented players.
    for the last 2-3 weeks since i’m back in the game, maintenances are a common occurance. in fact, the first day i decided to return i couldn’t because of a maintenance. if this was a piece of software waiting to be released, it would be delayed for a few months until everything is fixed. however, being already live, all they can do is release faulty code due to lack of funds and then patch it up. i am not at all convinced in any way that i should spend a single cent more on anything lotro related. sorry to say that. and i do hope they will fix it, make it better, get it running etc, but i am certain that this will never happen. it’s economics, nothing more

35. Elgol Says:

I feel as though this will be a new layer area where there will be non-stop seiges and you go into a layer for your level and fight with whoever is there at that time- therefore more than 24 people could participate in abttle, say the battles scale to ow many people are in the layer

36. Whatsinaname Says:

Only MMOers can take a minimum of information from an upcoming release, and find something to complain about. Really it’s astonishing. If there was an Olympic complaining team, we’d have so many people trying out, there’d need to be multiple tiers of competition.

Everybody remembers this is a voluntary thing, right? Nobody’s got a gun to your head forcing you to play, do they? FFS.

1. Episode 193: Helms Deep Expansion | Casual Stroll to Mordor - April 28, 2013

[...] Helms Deep LOTRO’s Fifth Expansion Announced [...]

2. Turbine Announces New LOTRO Expansion | Middle-earth News - May 3, 2013

[...] more information, visit A Casual Stroll to Mordor for more updates on the Helm’s Deep Expansion and all of your Lord of the Rings Online [...]

3. LOTRO Market Sale: 50% off Riders of Rohan Until July 7th | Casual Stroll to Mordor - July 3, 2013

[...] we this means we’ll start seeing pre-order information for Helm’s Deep [...]

4. #LOTRO: Server Event “Bounder’s Bounty” Starting with Update 11.3 | Casually Strolling Through MMOs - August 23, 2013

[…] by by Aubergine discussing a new event slated to go live with 11.3 and persist until the launch of Helms Deep. Turbine does have 11.3 update to the game scheduled for Monday which will start this event […]