Scheduled Maintenance: Saturday, April 27th from 5:00 to 7:00 AM Eastern

April 26, 2013

LOTRO News

The LOTRO Game Servers and http://myaccount.turbine.com will be offline for maintenance on Saturday, April 27th from 5:00 to 7:00 Eastern (-4 GMT). The forums and wikis will remain up, but players may not be able to log in. Thanks for your patience, and we’ll see you back in the game soon!

FYI: This maintenance is to address recent login issues seen periodically over the past couple of days.

Source: LOTRO Forums

, , , ,

14 Responses to “Scheduled Maintenance: Saturday, April 27th from 5:00 to 7:00 AM Eastern”

1. Sukerkin Says:

Hmmm … so yet again Turbine do some ‘maintenance’ and blow past their RTS deadline as if it was really only a suggestion. After it’s not like people actually pay them money to provide a service is it? Oh wait …

I’m not so sure it was a genius idea to do this on a Saturday either and, showing it’s contempt for its European customers, during a prime free time gaming window (at least for me).

I’m a little confused by the GMT -4 advisory by the way. Isn’t EST six hours behind us her where the ‘real’ time lives? :D. Or is something other than EST meant by Eastern? In which case I iz stoopid :o.

2. Oak Says:

As I write this, it is 08:37 on the East Coast of the USA. The East Coast is on Eastern Daylight Time, not Eastern Standard Time. If we were on EST, it would be 07:37.

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is an absolute time reference & doesn’t change with the seasons. GMT is 12:37. London is currently observing British Summer Time (BST), so it is 13:37 in London.

If the East Coast was still on Eastern Standard, we would be 6 hours from BST / 5 hours from GMT. But we’re on EDT, so we’re 5 hours from BST / 4 hours from GMT.

• Sukerkin Says:

Cheers Oak :D. I’ll make a note of your helpful advice.

So, if I read you correctly, when Turbine say “Eastern” they mean ESD rather than EST? Thanks particularly for the tip that their time zone offset reference doesn’t take account of the clock change here in England. That’ll help for future interpreting what deadline they’re going to miss :lol:.

Game is back up now by the way – 14:00 BST :D.

game and forums are down est 1030. I wondered what was up as the splash screen on the log in said maintenance was monday the 29th. I kept getting this message when logging in

unable to connect to world queue error 5000

4. Puppygrowl Says:

it is 10:40 EST and I still cant log in… any1 else have this problem?

5. Oak Says:

My client crashed around 1030 EDT and I can’t reconnect around 15 minutes later. My client attempts to join the queue but doesn’t succeed. Based on Susan’s issue, it looks like the problem isn’t on my end.

6. Avatar of dtchris
    dtchris Says:

I got to say it’s rather shameful to read a lot of the messages left on the announcement thread on the LOTRO forums and even one of the messages here. I get the frustration of not being able to play a game that might help you relax after a hard day but to actually say things like wishing the fire alarm had been a real fire and that all the employees were burned to death in it was omg shameful doesn’t cover it. And to see people demanding to be given things because they feel that the staff of Turbine are doing these down times on purpose because they haven’t been getting sales from the Store or how it was done on purpose to wrong their European players is like a kid falling down in the middle of the toy or cereal aisle and throwing a tantrum because their parents told them no. This is why I find it hard to find the drive to get into groups with people like these rude folks running around the game.

As a Lifetime member and thus a Veteran of the game I miss the days when people were more about helping people then being greedy and rude toward new people.

7. Pointy Says:

I understand that they have to do mainenance. I understand that they do sometimes have unforseen circumstances that make it last longer than it should.

But could they PLEASE find a better balance as to when they do it? If they can go in to the office at five am so as to not disturb the prime playing time of their more ‘local’ playerbase… could they not have a go and make the EU maintenance not be in the middle of the day on a weekend? It’s every time now that when they take it down for maintenance it’s prime time for us over here. :(

8. Avatar of andyb
    andyb Says:

For games where the servers are stateside EU players just have to put up with the playtime downtimes as well as all the associated playability or connection hassles. I cant think of one that does it.

It would be really nice if they were willing to alternate or rotate the downtimes but I doubt we’ll ever see a company do that.

• Pointy Says:

Yeah it’s a bit unfair that everything is geared towards making as little inconvenience as possible for the US players, but everyone else gets their game knocked out at prime time. :P

I actually think as well that they should move the EU servers back to somewhere in the EU. Since it all got switched over to the US the lag has been increasingly bad simply because of the distance.