Chance Thomas on the Battle Bards Podcast

May 30, 2013

Community

BattleBardsOne of the few disappointing pieces of information that came out of the announcement of the Helms Deep expansion was that Chance Thomas will not be returning to create the music for the area.  Which is unfortunate considering that the Riders of Rohan has probably one of the best soundtracks of all time. (In my humble opinion.)

However, that doesn’t mean you can’t catch up on all his other projects at his website or on the recent edition of Battle Bards!  If you love the music of LOTRO (and I know you do), then this episode is a MUST LISTEN!

, , , , ,

About Merric

Co-founder of CSTM and an avid LOTRO fan.

9 Responses to “Chance Thomas on the Battle Bards Podcast”

1. Aethelbehrt Says:

I hope we still get good music for the expansion. One of the highlights of Rohan was the music.

2. TheElvenTailor Says:

That is very sad news indeed. I was hoping to rock out to his music while defending the Hornburg. My hope is he will at least return for any Gondor expansions!

3. Rabbitses Starkfoot Says:

Really really hope it doesn’t get done by the people who made the crappy isengard filler. That was pathetic and it’s the only area of the game I turn the music off in.

larhanya Says:

I agree, Rabbitses. The music from Enedwaith through Isengard was ear-bleedingly bad. But with Rohan, I will sometimes sit in Snowbourn *just to listen to the music*.

Sad to hear that Chance isn’t returning for Helm’s Deep. :(

4. Avatar of Merrydew
    Merrydew Says:

Glad to hear Chance isn’t going to be back. I have had the music off since Rohan started, I dislike it enough that I ask my husband to turn his machine music down as well so I don’t have to listen to it.

5. Abergar Says:

Such a shame. I enjoy Chance Thomas music most of all in the game. It’s the music that has the most heart and is most evocative of the spirit of the game. The one I absolutely hate (not one of Chance’s) is that Rohirrim fanfare theme that plays in the camps in southern Dunland (and Stangard) and sounds like it’s going to finish but then keeps adding bits on to the end.

6. davidt Says:

Maybe Mr. Thomas can’t work on the Helm’s Deep soundtrack because he is too busy working on the soundtrack for Minis Tirith.

7. Avatar of andyb
    andyb Says:

I was already set to not prepurchase the expansion and I have to say that the lack of a decent composer for the soundtrack makes me think I’ll just wait for a sale. A games music is such a massive part of the experience it’s laughable that devs disreagrd it so often.

I may of course reconsider if they have got someone else like Jeremy Soule or Jesper Kyd to do it.

At best the music that wasnt his work is bad. From there it rapidly goes downhill to an out of tune wailing that can only have been done by the someone with no ability to hear stuffing insturments into an industrial blender.

Some of it makes you wonder about who they got to perform it as it is so painfully out of tune. As someone who tunes pianos I know that things can still sound right when out of tune but there’s a line beyond which anyone with ears knows is bad.

8. Avatar of Ethelros
    Ethelros Says:

Shame Chance isn’t coming back, but unlike others here it seems I actually liked some of the stuff he didn’t make too. Notably, the various dungeon tracks and quest instance music in Rohan was actually done by Turbine’s in-house guy, and it was pretty good stuff.