Turbine released a Developer Diary today focused on the upcoming changes that Mounted Combat will be undergoing in Update 11. It seems that the team had two main issues that homed in on during this go-around.
- Problem #1: Players have to spend trait points in the movement tree in order for their steed to move in an acceptable manner
- Problem #2: Players feel a distinct disconnect when their class mounts a War-Steed. Skills and traits don’t do enough to reinforce the identity of the class.
And although the first problem was something that they felt was a “no-brainer” (They removed the movement tree and built it into the war steeds),it took a bit longer for them to resolve the second issue.
Eventually they came to the conclusion that they would replace the movement tree with class-specific trees. This meant designing 8-10 new traits for each of the 9 classes “…for a total of 80+ traits.” And although the traits will be new for mounted combat, they will be familiar in their nature. (Buffs, enhancements, taunts, fears, capstones, etc.)
Other changes were also made to “polish” the other trait lines:
- Heavy War Steeds lost 0.5 meter per seconds off their max speed, but gained Armour and Endurance.
- The Light War Steed had their max power and power regeneration increased.
- Some skills were improved or altered in order to fill in any “holes” in the remaining trees.
- DPS and power usage were further balanced