#LOTRO Bullroarer: Account Wide Mount Speed Increase

July 19, 2013

LOTRO, LOTRO Store

Something that is coming (perhaps with 11.2) are new passive riding traits being added to the LOTRO Store. I was on Bullroarer on a new character and found this item quite by accident when looking to purchase my regular riding trait. Here are screenshots and text from these two new offerings.

This is currently on the public test server, Bullroarer. Please note that all information is subject to change!

Apprentice Riding TraitApprentice Riding Trait

This trait makes all of your travelling mounts that are +62% speed and lower travel at +68% speed. This makes all of your travelling mounts equivalent in speed to a store exclusive mount! Also includes the Riding Trait required to ride any mount. This offer delivers a package item that contains the Apprentice Riding Trait and the basic Riding Trait, as well as the Smell the Roses skill, which turns off all mount speed buffs while active. The tooltips on your mount skills will not change to show this new speed.

Current Bullroarer Price: 995 TP

So what does this trait give you:

• Grants the trait to allow the character to ride horses.
  • All travel mounts (meaning not war-steeds) including goats and slow starter steeds will have their speed increased to 68% (same as store exclusive steeds).
  • You will get a new toggle skill that allows you to turn off these speed boost if desired called “Smell the Roses”

This appears to be a per character purchase as it doesn’t specify this is an account wide purchase.

Journeyman Riding Trait

Journeyman Riding Trait

This trait will be given to every character on your account permanently, whether they were created before or after you bought this offer. Also includes the Riding Trait required to ride any mount. This offer delivers a package item that contains the Apprentice Riding Trait and the basic Riding Trait, as well as the Smell the Roses skill, which turns off all mount speed buffs while active. The tooltips on your mount skills will not change to show this new speed.

(Note this text probably means Journeyman Riding Trait – this is from the test server remember)

Current Bullroarer Price: 2995 TP

So what does this trait give you:

• Grants trait to allow to ride horses
  • All travel mounts (meaning not war-steeds) including goats and slow starter steeds will have their speed increased to 78% speed. That’s faster than the store exclusive mounts!

This is an account wide purchase so these benefits affect all characters on all servers created now or in the future.

I did purchase the Journeyman trait on bullroarer and got an error message. At that point I honestly just assumed it was a temporary test server thing and didn’t worry much about it. However reading this forum post, the purchase does work and I should have had a package in my inventory. Unfortunately I have so many gift boxes from my multiple preorder and package purchase through out the years, I didn’t notice it.

We are told by EdgeCase on the forums that this speed boost does not work in the Ettenmoors so it will not give advantage to those who purchase it in that area.

All mount speed buffs will be disabled on the Moors, including the Apprentice and Journeyman Riding passives, and the +20% Well Fed buff. You’ll still be able to ride your 62% and 68% mounts as normal, but that will be the limit.

As expected feedback seems to be mixed on this item. I’m happy to tell you I am excited for this kind of item. I’d much rather spend my money on enhancing my character’s ability to travel quickly then say… pay for the privilege of doing a festival quest more than once. Just as an example.

I personally feel this is a great addition. Those willing to pay it will, those who don’t, won’t. Those who purchase it only have the convenience of faster travel. I have to say it is very tempting to me. Middle-earth is vast and zipping through to get to a destination sounds handy. Not critical but certainly useful.

I’m sure people are able to come up with instances where this could give some sort of advantage to paying player and they could be right. I’m certain there are cases where this is abused in some fashion. Overall I think someone who can ride faster than me will effect my gameplay very very little and I’m ok with this being an option in the store.

See the player discussion about these items going on now in the LOTRO Forums.

, , , ,

25 Responses to “#LOTRO Bullroarer: Account Wide Mount Speed Increase”

1. Mave Says:

I WILL be buying the Journeyman trait. Definitely. This is by far the best item to come out of the store in a very, very long time. Possibly ever.

2. Eowyn Says:

Curious, does this mean the riding trait will be automatically given as well since the package is account wide?

3. Ithoran Says:

This kind of pisses me off because I’ve passed on grinding out festival tokens or reputation for countless regular mounts that aren’t 68% speed. I’d take a look at the tooltip and if it was 62% I wouldn’t bother. Now you’ll be able to pay to increase the speed.

4. davidt Says:

How does +78% speed compare to a War Steed’s speed?

• Frandoc Says:

I got out my trusty digital kitchen timer and did a bit of testing on Bullroarer, using the route between the West Bree stable-master and the Trestlebridge stable-master. My warsteed at 14.5 (gallop) made the trip in 3 minutes and four seconds; my travel mount with journeyman skill applied made the trip in 3 minutes and forty-seven seconds. I did only one run each. I wanted to do multiple runs, but real life has been hectic the past few days.

5. Ilse Says:

Oh, this is an interesting thing to save TP for, the account wide version anyway! I do wonder though, what the difference is betweent he apprentice riding skills and the basic riding skill.

Hmm… another thing to put on my wishlist once it becomes live….. Eriador bundle, Expansion packs, This trait pack….. I really have to continue working on my free TP :)

• Ilse Says:

Forgot to include: Or is the Journeyman riding skill actually the basic riding skill?

Goldenstar Says:

The basic riding trait is included in both of these trait packs. It’s not the same thing as but it does include it so a new account could buy the account wide journeyman version and all their characters would know how to ride.

6. Brainslug Says:

That sounds fantastic … However 3k TP is really quite a bit of real life money for a feature I (probably) won’t be using after I got my warsteed at lvl 75.

I will keep my eye out for any sales on this pack though :)

• Ithoran Says:

Oh believe me, after you see how much war-steeds rubberband when you try to jump over simple objects you’ll want to start using regular mounts in towns again.

7. Rufusstan Says:

I’m torn on this one. It seems scary that they com up with this just after I moan that there is nothing worth buying.

More specifically:

First thought– cool
    Second — How much?!
    third — +68% horses have always been rewards for achievements. This devalues things.
    fourth — Store horses have been doing this for a while so thought 3 is long gone as an argument.

What really worries me though, is that by the games framing:

Basic–> Apprentice –> Journeyman –>……
    Are there artisan, expert, master and on traits to come.

That all said, journeyman on sale might be tempting.

• Angela Says:

LOL that reason is so old & tiresome. It only gets devalued if you let it. Quite frankly I think it’s ridiculous someone letting a speed buff devalue there accomplishments in game.

8. Rabbitses Starkfoot Says:

looking forward to the account wide purchase! Ill be using my travel mounts much more often now!

9. Pickles Says:

So will Eastemnet Riding Trait make my horses supersonic?

10. Avatar of Lilikate Buggins.
    Lilikate Buggins. Says:

Errr I have a feeling this will seriously affect the player run, race events on Landroval :(

11. Avatar of Sullo
    Sullo Says:

Very interesting news. As with other comments above, I have mixed feelings about it; on the one hand, I don’t ride most of my mounts because they are not 68% speed, on the other hand if all mounts are fast, then no mounts are “fast”. I also have to wonder if this is being influenced by player demand, or possibly other games (for instance, in Rift you can purchase exclusive steeds that are as fast as your fastest steed). I will be interested to hear how this shakes out. Thanks!

12. Flixxer Says:

since riding is usually a waste of time i will buy this… add to it that higher speed means possibly reaching new areas which i could not reach before

13. Ben Says:

Holy hand-grenades batman, 78% speed for all mounts!? I can alt little zippy guys whenever I want? Heck, I’d consider buying this at 3995TP.

14. Celondur Says:

I like it. The “Smell the Roses” skill was a thoughtful addition for contests and RP.

What I’d like almost as much is to see riding mount morale scale with player level. It’s not a big deal, since most areas’ mobs are too low level to aggro, but I think it would be more consistent with player progression and add a bit of convenience to certain situations.

15. Avatar of andyb
    andyb Says:

I think the 68% speed is actually as fast as you really need to go, at least I’ve never mounted up on my steam pony and ridden off think that it could be better.

I’m curious about the impact, if any, this will have on the pricing of store mounts. One of the main reasons for considering those was the extra kick of speed. If the trait removes that then the only reason now is the looks so it wouldnt be entirely unreasonable to drop the store mount cost by 500TP’s or so.

It makes that pathetic goat seem almost worth it although it’s health will probably still be a killer.

No mention of sub side of things so I’ll assume its everyone pays like the wallet and ignore the 3k TP option. I shudder to think how bad riding through the likes of bree will be at a faster speed that we currently can.

Price for the 78% is a bit high but overall it looks like a pretty ok way to monetise the riding skill. It is account wide afterall.

1. LOTRO Players News Episode 4: Revenge of the Crows | LOTRO Players - July 22, 2013

[...] can now get deleted characters returned to your account.  In update 11.2 BETA there is an account wide buff for steeds to go to +68% and a super-buff to go to +78%.  Please note that these are subject to [...]

2. Release notes update 11.2 | Lotro Adventures - July 24, 2013

[...] for their assistance with the design and pricing the Advanced Riding Skill.: This is a new item. Goldenstar reported about it earlier! Apparently it’s indeed now live in the store, like she suspected. For all free players [...]