Poll: Do You Enjoy In-game Festivals?

October 27, 2013

Weekly Poll

Just about every MMO out there has some sort of event or in-game fall/halloween type celebration going on right now. This week’s question is simple. Do you enjoy these seasonal events?

You are welcome to elaborate in the comments below what you do and do not enjoy about in-game festivals.

Do you enjoy in-game festivals?

• They are a nice break now and then (45%, 281 Votes)
  • Yes! I love them! (32%, 196 Votes)
  • Cheese. The answer is cheese. (11%, 71 Votes)
  • I do not like them. (12%, 70 Votes)

Total Voters: 618

Loading ... Loading ...
, ,

16 Responses to “Poll: Do You Enjoy In-game Festivals?”

1. Saecklin Says:

i loved them when the Cartophile deed was introduced, a deed that required collecting tokens in 4 festivals. that was a great incentive :-)

2. paeroka Says:

I love them when they don’t feel grindy. Why shouldn’t I be able to get all the rewards in a day or two? It’s a festival, after all. I never have to work hard to get my Easter or Christmas presents either. On the contrary, people just give them to me without me collecting any tokens first. ;)

What I love most about the festivals is usually the decorations. When the main gathering place just looks festive and different. Sometimes festivals add some nice mini games that are fun to play. That’s what I enjoy the most, I guess. I love the spooky house in Lotro (I forgot the name… ^^) around Halloween and I loved Guild Wars 2′s mini games for Wintersday last year. One was a bell choir where you basically just pressed the right buttons on time to play a song. But you did it with two other players and it could sound really nice if done correctly. ;) And the other was a snowball PvP fight.

I don’t like festivals like the autumn festival in Rift where you need to do some dailies in order to get tokens in order to get some stuff. I didn’t see anything that sounded like fun to do, so I decided to just look at the nice autumn area and ignore the rest.

3. Skuin Silkbeard Says:

I chose ‘I do not like them’ not because I don’t like them but because I don’t participate. As long as I am leveling up, I feel they detract from the epic story and I just can’t/won’t break away. Maybe at the end when I’m fully capped I’ll ‘play’ the festivals in LotRO.

4. thieleplex Says:

I like the ones in lotro but not much in other games :(

5. FoxFire Says:

While cheese is certainly a viable answer, I felt that “They are a nice break now and then” was somewhat more in line with my position.

6. bob101910 Says:

I picked Cheese. They are fun, but when they are the same thing every year, they get less exciting. I remember my first fall fest getting lost in the Haunted Burrow. Now I know that place like Cheese.

• Gorfaroth Says:

Couldn’t agree with you more. The additions of Winter-Home, the Farmer’s Faire, and the Haunted Burrow are good examples of them adding new twists on the festivals, granted they are a year or two old. But, alas, Turbine seems to think that we are content with only new rewards and no new content. Granted, some people are fine with repeating the same thing for five or more years, but it is certainly not the majority. The latest new twist to a festival was over a year ago, and they need more of that.

7. Avatar of Tsu
    Tsu Says:

I generally do not like them…but am actually really enjoying the current LOTRO festival..the spooky burrow is great…I don’t even know what I will spend all the tokens on!

Oh and I won the skeleton mount for my main…now have to get matching cosmetics…is there a skeleton outfit?

• nova Says:

as far as i know there is no skeleton outfit, but it’s a very very good idea for cosmetic rewards next year. i hope someone in the player council is paying attention (doubt it though)

sure, love them. When they are done right they are a nice change of pace. Its when they dangle really nice new cosmetics and items but have the price so steep so you only have a choice grinding repetitive quests or feel like a street urchin looking in as others get all the prizes. Forcing the grind takes all enjoyment away from the novel festivities.

9. miofli Says:

I love them. I just hate it if the rewards are gated. An example was the last winter festival in lotto where the best rewards where deed gated (not the only example but the best that comes to mind atm). Festivals should be all about relaxation from the normal quests not yet another grind.

10. miofli Says:

I love them. I just hate it if the rewards are gated. An example was the last winter festival in lotro where the best rewards where deed gated (not the only example but the best that comes to mind atm). Festivals should be all about relaxation from the normal quests not yet another grind.

• nova Says:

i totally agree. i love yule festival about 10 000 times more than the ROR expansion, but why would you turn something relaxing and playful into a grind?

11. Goreamir Says:

I like them until I’ve run the same quests a thousand times on all my alts to get the new steed. After that it just gets monotonous, since very little if anything changes from year to year aside from the rewards.

12. squiggle Says:

‘I do not like them’. Maybe I should try again? But mostly they seemed pretty inane, and gathering that many people in one place always causes lagging problems for me.

Having a ‘Fall’ festival in Middle Earth, rather than an ‘Autumn’ one, irritates me, too.