Poll: Do You Use Voice Chat While Playing?

October 6, 2013

Weekly Poll

This week’s poll is asking if you use any sort of voice chat while playing your MMOs. Some games have voice chat built in while others will use some sort of service for their guild/kin.¬†Merric and I lately have been using google hangouts with our phone to chat (his computer is downstairs in the old podcasting room).

I’m not asking what kind of method you use for voice chat. I’m asking if you use voice chat while playing your MMO(s)! If you want to share the way you and your friends communicate, feel free to leave a comment below!

Do you use voice chat while playing MMOs?

• Sometimes, to talk to my group or guild/kin (50%, 193 Votes)
  • No, I don't use voice chat. (34%, 131 Votes)
  • Always have it on to chat while playing (16%, 59 Votes)

Total Voters: 383

Loading ... Loading ...

14 Responses to “Poll: Do You Use Voice Chat While Playing?”

1. Avatar of eleen scholten
    eleen scholten Says:

i use vent skype teamspeak and in game voice chat while playing :) its great fun to talk
    and when some one says my voice is cute (thanks gs hehe)

greetings elenior

2. Avatar of Ellrion
    Ellrion Says:

i use Skype (never, ever in-game chat… the quality is horrific) when i’m playing with RL friends. but otherwise i dislike voicechat… i don’t even like talking on the phone, no way i’m going to talk to strangers in a game.

3. Avatar of tamoro
    tamoro Says:

Teamspeak mostly, but my kin uses Ventrilo for larger events. I have to agree with Ellrion, the ingame chat quality does leave much to be desired.

4. Adam Says:

We use Steam to chat, Its great, and good for groups as well as one on ones!

5. khorgrim Says:

Our Kin uses Mumble. Really helps during raids to have everyone be able to at least listen to what they need to do. Makes it much faster to relay instructions.

I use skype when i game with family that live far away, we play the same games and its a hoot to natter on whilst playing, keeps us in touch as well. As for voice chat of any kind for guild or gaming with strangers, nah. Push to talk is too annoying to bother with, tho I leave audio on for raid instructions or to hear guild events like readings or music etc.

7. Cambruin Says:

Nope, never have and probably never will. I’m not a native speaker and would hate to make a fool out of myself on voice chat. Also, our computer is in the living room. Can’t imagine myself speaking in a foreign language with the wife and child running around.

Come to think of it. I once did for a very brief time. I was in a kinship which had very little chat going on. So I decided to check the voice chat thingie. Most of those people were very very young, very very loud and very very energetic. I’m sorry to say, it’s probably arrogant and very unsociable (if that’s a word), but I can’t see myself as an adult playing together with teens. Somehow just doesn’t feel right.

8. Kelly Says:

When I used to play within a group I would use team speak almost all the time. Never now I play alone.
    If I got a regular group together if consider it, but not when I play solo.

9. Gorfaroth Says:

Again, as a hardcore raider, ventrilo is a must when doing raids, especially T2CM. Six mans I freelance. That freedom comes with being a DPS class.
    Gorfaroth, Firefoot

10. Cadronas Says:

I had been using vent for my kin. It is great way to chat to some folks who I have known for a while.
    Also a mic is generally essential in the moors if you want to make yourself extra useful. Leading a group or even just bring your group’s attention to something is hard when your mike is stuffed. I don’t raid much but it is useful when trying to communicate with the team leader.
    My 2 year old bit the end off my first headset mike. I bought another and she chewed through the wire. Call me an idiot but I have one more set on order.

11. Sym Says:

When I first started MMOs and Lotro a couple years ago I would never use voice, I was very uncomfortable with it so I avoided it like the plague and played dumb when people would ask me to turn on the in game voice when grouping in Lotro. After I started playing other MMOs like GW2 and SWTOR And started doing other things like Raids and PvP I started to see it was benificial but didn’t really get into it until I found a really cool guild/gaming community that convinced me to give it a try and now I don’t think I would go back to not using it, between finding a good group to play with and talking with people it has really enhanced my time in game.

12. Symstrel Says:

• Sasasasasa Says:

Turning on voice is important in lotro, even if you don’t have a mic. Without turning it on you can’t hear other people talking, so everyone should have it on.

13. april Says:

never tried before.. sounds fun