Poll: Why Do You Play MMOs?

October 19, 2013

Weekly Poll

This question is simple enough to ask but maybe harder to answer. Especially since I’m making you pick only one answer because I’m a huge meanie-face! So if someone asked you, “Why do you play MMOs?”, what would your first answer be.

Feel free to select other and leave a comment below if none of the choices I came up with fit your personal reasons!

Why do you play MMOs?

• Explore the world (26%, 135 Votes)
  • Progression / Achievements (16%, 85 Votes)
  • Play with friends (14%, 71 Votes)
  • Depth of the game's story (13%, 69 Votes)
  • Complex gameplay (7%, 37 Votes)
  • Role-playing (4%, 23 Votes)
  • Dungeons / Raiding (4%, 23 Votes)
  • To dress up my character & collect things (4%, 22 Votes)
  • I don't know (4%, 21 Votes)
  • Other (leave a comment) (4%, 19 Votes)
  • PvP (2%, 9 Votes)
  • Crafting (2%, 8 Votes)

Total Voters: 522

Loading ... Loading ...

26 Responses to “Poll: Why Do You Play MMOs?”

1. Isilwren Says:

Other – to be engaged in a good story line. LOTRO had/has a good story line. That’s the first thing that sucked me in, then it became a way to get together with a great bunch of people who I still call friends (even though some of us have sailed west).

2. Pasduil Says:

You are a meanie-face making us pick just one! :)

The main ones for me are friends, story, gameplay and exploration. In the end I picked “complex gameplay” as the most essential. If the gameplay isn’t entertaining (at least sometimes!) it would be hard for the game to keep my interest over the long haul.

3. Thurinphir Says:

‘Explore the world’ and ‘depth of story’ for me

being able to play in the world of Middle-Earth with Gandalf and co, hobbits, dwarves, elves, orcs..

this is the reason other MMOs haven’t held my attention (excluding Rift, because CSTM guild + decent/good game)

4. Mave Says:

My reason wasn’t listed. The main reason I play is for immersion. That comes down to a combination of almost everything on your list. The main things that affect immersion for me:

Cosmetics, gear, horses, customization
    Locations and expoloration
    Storyline/lore I can launch off from in my gameplay
    Character classes/combat mechanics
    Crafting & hobbies
    Light RP
    Housing & landscape campsites, etc.

• susan Says:

I have to agree with Mave, immersion into another world and live a life there was the first draw to MMOs, but I voted to play with friends. In other shooter games and such you can play with friends…sure… but you cant just sit around and dance, sing, play music, go shopping or eat with them in those types of games like you can do in mmos.

5. Aiden Says:

Why do I play MMOs?
    For relaxation from the real-world.

Why do I play certain MMOs?
    Exploration and the game’s storyline.

6. Aiden Says:

Why do I play MMOs?
    For relaxation from the real-world.
    Why do I play certain MMOs?
    Exploration and the game’s storyline.

7. Aiden Says:

Why do I play MMOs?
    For relaxation from the real-world.

Why do I play certain MMOs?
    Exploration and the game storyline.

8. Avatar of Vræden
    Vræden Says:

Other:

. . . because if I didn’t play MMOs, all of my time and money would go towards strippers and beer.

• susan Says:

*cracks up

• Jessica-Star Says:

Hmmm…perhaps this is a good subject for a class guide or roundtable discussion. Several strippers/dancers talking about effectively leveling their class over beer? I’d listen!

Tsu Says:

GREAT COMEDY SKIT: Strip club where the girls are only interested in talking about MMO’s

Sure there is at the very least an award winning documentary in this…

9. Amadahy Says:

“Type of Game Play” would have been a good pick. There is a certain style of game mechanics that goes with MMOs that draws me to them, rather than playing Skyrim or Call of Duty or something like that.

10. Adam Says:

There are lots of reasons I play them, or specific ones, but the reason for the genre as a whole for me is purely because I can play with friends… I get everything I want from an MMO RPG gameplay and mechanics wise in a game like Skyrim, except the ability to experience it with my wife, mates, and sometimes folks I may meet in game

11. Lorriena Says:

I play LOTRO because it’s Middle Earth. The graphics are great, the details are there, and I can lose myself in the world. I’ve gotten several friends to play recently as well.

Also – after a bad day, I like to come home and pick fights with the toughest thing I think the char might be able to handle, and then see if I survive. Like taking my lvl 32 guard to Angmar and picking fights with wargs. (didn’t QUITE make live, but close. Close enough to try a few times, just to be sure. Really.)

-Lorriena of BBC, Brandywine

12. Apothicus Says:

You need an “all of the above” option in your poll.

13. hungoth Says:

dugeons and raids, even if I played them already 100 times …. Sammy here I come ;)

14. Avatar of Bibliocat
    Bibliocat Says:

Other= All of the above except for PvP!

15. Jessica-Star Says:

I voted Exploring, but really it’s exploring, story, and playing with my Husband. It’s a big part of our ‘us’ time, and being out of the context of the regular world is such a great way to relax and get to have fun together. I treasure that!

We’re currently playing The Secret World together while waiting for the next expansion, and that’s super fun. He’s getting more into the story than ever before because of the fact all quests start with a video instead of a wall of text. In LotRO I usually have to tell him why we’re doing what we’re doing. ;)

16. nova Says:

i think you forgot one answer: i play mmos because i’m having fun doing it. i don’t have many friends in RL mostly because i don’t have time for them, i’m a family man and all. so mmos allow me to get my daily dose of socializing while still be within reach of my wife and little one in case they need anything. i don’t see any better way of doing it, especially since, as i said, i’m having fun :)

p.s. i’m so excited about the RK changes i can hardly wait!!!

17. Avatar of Tsu
    Tsu Says:

Really deep question with such a simple answer: exploration I suppose but I agree with EVERYONE! On different days I will also answer differently!

The question I have been asking myself lately is not why I play MMO’s but why do I play ONLY LOTRO!

• Pasduil Says:

> why do I play ONLY LOTRO!

I do play other MMOs a bit, but I mainly play LOTRO. The reasons for that are twofold….

1) The huge amount of time I have invested in LOTRO, and which it would take ages to replicate in another game. To get chars to cap, figure out all the game systems, make friends in guilds, level up crafting, find the great blogs, etc etc

2) Others MMOs are not sufficiently different that playing them is a radically different experience than the things I can do in LOTRO. There are differences sure, but not so big as to make them unmissable.

If I want a change from LOTRO I’m more likely to play a non-MMO, like Civ 5 say.

18. Avatar of Kanati Siquayetsga
    Kanati Siquayetsga Says:

I chose “Complex Gameplay” but really it’s a combination of several reasons. As a mainly-solo player, I don’t really play MMOs for the social aspect. It’s about more the “really big and changing game world you can’t have in a single player RPG”.

Story is probably really important to me too. The story is likely why I still play LOTRO and SWTOR, but not STO, CO, GW, or any of the other MMOs I’ve dabbled in.

19. Rufusstan Says:

I could pick at least half a dozen of them, but when it comes down to it I’m an explorer.

Its a form of gameplay that has become more marginal over the years sadly :(

20. Avatar of Lilikate Buggins.