Yesterday Turbine announced the Gift of the Valar is officially a thing on live servers. From December 13th – 19th, you have the option of buying a package in game that will auto level one character to level 50 with some bonuses. Who should buy this package?
First let’s look at the package itself.
Gift of the Valar 4995 TP
Receive a gift from the Valar that makes your character powerful enough to delve in the deeps of Moria. After using the Gift of the Valar, your character will instantly be raised to level 50! Delivers a package that contains the following:
- Gift of the Valar Item
- A set of level 50 gear
- 1 Gold piece
- An LIXP rune, worth enough XP to bring one LI to level 10
- 4 ranks of each virtue
- The Riding skill
- A Dusky Nimblefoot Goat
- A 25-stack of food that scales with your level
- A 25-stack of Morale and Power potions that scale with your level
- 5 +100% XP Boosts
- A single-use map to Rivendell
- 25 Mithril Coins
A new player should not buy this
I know that 95 levels of play seems daunting but I could easily come up with a list of why a new LOTRO player should not buy this package.
- You are skipping all the free content. By auto-leveling to 50, you are instantly into the realm of buying expansion and extra zone content quest packs in order to quest and easily progress any further. Moria isn’t even included in the Gift of the Valar. You’d have to buy that to start out!
- You will miss all the very valuable “learn what my class does” time of leveling to 50.
- You could buy this auto-level for a class you discover later that you don’t like! Some classes don’t really develop into their solid roles until the 30s or later.
- You miss out on some fine and very iconic Middle-earth adventures. I suppose you could come back to do grey quests but you know you won’t!
Then who should buy this?
Now I realize that anyone with 4995 TP can buy this but should they?
Since yesterday’s announcement of this package I’ve been thinking who would benefit the most from skipping content and the best answer I could come up with a veteran player wanting to level an alt.
A veteran player has done the pre-50 quest, probably multiple times. They also probably already own Moria and are familiar enough with mechanics to know they like the class and what it does.
I can understand someone making this purchase for their next alt just to skip a head in the process they already know so very well.
Would I (Goldenstar) buy this?
I would consider myself a veteran player with multiple alts so opinion time, would I buy this?
No. I personally would not buy this item mostly because of the cost. 4995 TP is approximately $50. I cannot see myself spending $50 on a single character to get to 50 even with all the extra goodies tacked on. If I had $50 burning a hole in my pocket I’d look to buy myself a new game (or more than one even) rather than skip content for one character in LOTRO.
I don’t mind the pre-Moria content and I personally have no reason to skip ahead. Sure I’ve done the Shire and Bree a dozen times or more. I still wouldn’t skip it.
Would you consider buying this? Please share in the comments below why you would or wouldn’t!